Author Topic: Martin Sea Serpent AEW.1  (Read 141 times)

Online McColm

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Martin Sea Serpent AEW.1
« on: August 06, 2019, 01:48:58 am »
This idea is based on the 1/72 Mach2 Martin P6M-2 SeaMaster in the AEW &C role. The rotodome from the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye fits snugly on the vertical tail fin,  meaning that the two tail fins will have to be rearranged.  Fortunately for me the kit I have isn't causing me any problems so far and the two fuselage halves do fit together without any major gaps even the interior cockpit fits which is a real surprise!
The vertical tail fin is glued in place and the floats glued as well. I will be using the beaching gear as a template for an amphibious landing gear and see if the wings go together as well as the rest of the build.  The engines will be different more towards the Be-200 or A-40 in style.
A raid in the spares box labelled Airfix Nimrod parts should provide the necessary lumps and bumps. The paint scheme will be interesting as it's late 1970s early 1980s as the grey and green or white and grey changed to hemp. Of course it could be an export customer or the promotional colour scheme.

Online McColm

Re: Martin Sea Serpent AEW.1
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 06:19:00 am »
The  wings,  floats and rotodome are now all glued on,  although there's a slight gap in the wing shoulder everything else has gone smoothly.  The usual problems haven't occurred yet.
I won't be doing much tomorrow as I am catching the overnight service from London Victoria coach station to Falmouth in Cornwall for a long overdue holiday.

Online McColm

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 12:12:31 am »
On the model it looks as though the rotodome is resting on top of tail fins,  this is the stored position.  The real thing would have a retractable pole to raise the rotodome clear of the tail fins. 
The rear bump is from a resin EB-66 conversion set, with a little bit of putty this should blend in well with the rear fuselage.

Online McColm

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:37:05 am »
A slight change to the T-tail reverting back to the spares box. The top is from the Revell H.P. Victor K2.
The AEW radar will resemble the E-7 Wedgetail.