Author Topic: Avro York MR.1  (Read 197 times)

Offline McColm

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Avro York MR.1
« on: July 25, 2019, 12:17:20 pm »
 This started life as a 1/72 Heritage vacform Avro York C1,  I added the wings and twin tail fins from the Airfix Avro Shackleton MR. 2. The engines are from the David J.Parkins Avro Lincoln B.Mk.1  conversion set with the contra-rotating propellers from the Frog/Novo Shackleton MR.3.  The main landing gear is from the Airfix Avro Lancaster Mk1/3 it was supposed to be the Avro Yorktown project but it looks like the British version of the Consolidated B-24  bomber.
 The vacform on the Heritage kit is very thick, so I think I can scribe the bomb bay doors and add guns to the front/nose.
The Avro York MR.1 doesn't come with an upper turret,  but fills the gap between the Lancaster and Shackleton.
Coastal Command colours will be used on the finished build.

Offline McColm

Re: Avro York MR.1
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:41:24 am »
Due to a slight mishap the Maritime York now has a pair of Nene jet engines fitted to the outer wings with chin radome from the C-97.

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:24:49 am »
Sounds not a bad "mishap". Jet power for take-off and for dash performance in the combat zone, and piston power for the cruise be better to make them Griffons.
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Offline McColm

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:22:46 am »
There is an uncanny resemblance with the ventral to the Liberator GR.V , the Dumbo radome. I could mock up a fake nose and add a couple of guns.