Rockwell FAR-X (Flettner Air Rotor -Experimental)

Started by 63cpe, March 19, 2019, 03:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

That's exactly why the discs are there, to prevent air from spreading over the rotor and create lift.

As the engines are to be placed just in front of the inner sections of the front rotors, most lift will probably created there.

By the way the spinning of the rotors control the lift. If rpm is low, less lift is created ergo if rpm is up more lift is created. I figured with four independent rotors and a rudder, one can control the aircraft in all three axis.

David aka 63 cpe

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

63cpe

Ehm, no...maybe a future version? I'm worried about the weigh. Think the motors plus the rotors will get too heavy and the spindly undercarriage will collapse.

David aka 63 cpe

Tophe

Quote from: 63cpe on March 23, 2019, 02:48:19 AM
and the spindly undercarriage will collapse.
In the what-if universe, a weak-looking undercarriage may be very strong (titanium matter or other, top secret...) ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Sorry Dave, I wasn't clear.  I didn't mean are you motorising the model, I meant how would Rockwell power the rotors on the real FAR-X?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

63cpe

Ahw, right! understood....

I was thinking about putting electric engines in the rotors. Electric engines are able to spin really high rpm's, weigh is depending on the type of engine (was thinking about coreless engines for their ability to accelerate rapidly, lighter in weigh and low torque). Electric power will be supplied by an apu just below rotor assembly and control of it all by fly-by wire...

David aka 63cpe

zenrat

Fred

63cpe

Great minds think alike, isn't it?!

:mellow: :lol:

David aka 63cpe