A Mighty Fin !! Tonka Theme Build 28 Squadron Indian Air Force

Started by Gondor, January 14, 2019, 01:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

A bit like Chris Payne buying so many new Airfix Phantoms so he can build one for each squadron that operated them, I have over the years done something similar with the Tornado...

So there remains just a few simple questions, which kit to build.... which after checking the instructions in the box against the RAF boxing of this kit I find they are the same other than the obvious decals

What to build it as was decided by seeing Spinner's posting of Panavia Tornado IS 'Bavandar' - No.28 Squadron, Indian Air Force, 1985, which as I like the diversity of and the general lack of knowledge about the Indian Air Force makes it ideal to build whilfs of which I have previous by building a TSR2 in Indian markings so why not the Tonka?

Next problem is where to build it  :-\

There was a modelling bench under there at one time, I think......

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

I don't see a problem.  There's a clear space there at the front.  Use that.

;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

flappydaffy

Weaver

The cammo scheme on that Monogram boxing is interesting and, as far as I know, was never applied in real life, making it an instant whiff. I don't know why, mind you: it seems perfect for camouflage over the deserts of southern Germany.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Dizzyfugu

Well, the scheme is real, but the choice of colors went totally wrong and much too light (reminds me of pre WWII- RLM tones from the 3-color-splinter scheme). The real thing looked this way:

Original upper colors are/were RAL 6014, 7012 and 7021 (an olive drab, kind of Dark Sea Grey and a very dark grey, almost black).

Gondor

Not much been done other than correcting the spelling mistake in the title due to cleaning the workbench and life just getting in the way. Hope to get something done over the weekend or early next week.
Could a moderator please move this thread to the appropriate place please.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

comrade harps

I'm glad my Tornado IDS that was going to be Indian Air Force probably won't be now because I've run out of Indian roundels in the stash.  :banghead: Maybe Brazillian?

Will be interesting to see.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Gondor

Managed to get a bit more tidying up done, I can now see the majority of the cutting mat so more modeling will happen soon, I think  :rolleyes:

[

Gondor

NARSES2

"And then there was light"  ;D

Almost needs a mini avalanche warning notice  ;) There's some interesting boxes in that pile  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 19, 2019, 01:54:46 AM
"And then there was light"  ;D

Almost needs a mini avalanche warning notice  ;) There's some interesting boxes in that pile  :thumbsup:

I refer the honorable gentleman to the photograph I posted earlier for interesting boxes, more of the stash is out of sight which is quite varied in places if not in intent.

Gondor

chrisonord

Until recently I had a 2.5 foot by 1.5 foot fold down table on wheels that was my mums as my work station, and something I can only describe as two shelves on wheels as my modelling area, in my living room, it got a bit too cluttered too easily, and I would get annoyed and not want to build anything. I have since built a new top with anti carpet monster lips on the edge, it has given me nearly four times the work space. Which still gets cluttered, so, I made a box shaped tray at one end of it to stuff full of the tools and other bits I don't use all the time. I am thinking of putting another tray ON the other end.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 16, 2019, 03:38:03 AM
Well, the scheme is real, but the choice of colors went totally wrong and much too light (reminds me of pre WWII- RLM tones from the 3-color-splinter scheme). The real thing looked this way:

Original upper colors are/were RAL 6014, 7012 and 7021 (an olive drab, kind of Dark Sea Grey and a very dark grey, almost black).

Well that's kinda what I meant: the scheme on the box appears to be two shades of green, one of brown and one of sand...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Gondor

Well I have decided on the main weaponry to be carried by the aircraft

Just got to decide what I am going to hang from the outer wing pylons, soviet style rocket pods looks like a good idea at the moment.

One thing that I am going to be looking for is a 1/72 Hasegawa Tornado GR1/4 tail fin so that I can use it for a whiff version of the EF3

Gondor