Author Topic: Building a castle in 1/76 scale  (Read 804 times)

Offline McColm

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Building a castle in 1/76 scale
« on: September 01, 2018, 03:54:13 am »
 There are plastic model kits of Medieval Castles and Airfix did produce the Nottingham Castle but prices for that kit on auction sites aren't cheap. The kit includes four turrets, a castle keep and a drawbridge with a flag .
I had one and used a kitchen towel to mimic the stone effect. Unfortunately my niece now has it down in Falmouth.
 There are also card kits, but the finish is printed and is very shiny.
I managed to find a issue of 'Model Rail May 2002' which has an interesting article on the Hogwarts Castle and Hogwarts Express.
 I intend to go back to the 'Blue Peter' method of Pringles tubes, Metcalf Models embossed stone sheets, card and Willis accessories.
This will be based on a real castle(s) and not Hogwarts or Cinderella.

Offline Rick Lowe

Re: Building a castle in 1/76 scale
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:26:02 pm »
A friend used Rice Bubbles (breakfast cereal) for the stonework on one of his scratchbuilds...
Not sure what the bugs would do to it long term, but presumably the paint would put them off?

FWIW

Offline McColm

Re: Building a castle in 1/76 scale
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 08:17:21 am »
The pop-up guide to Hogwarts is closer to 1/72 , although it doesn't include the entire castle there is scope for some scratch building to complete the multiple arched bridge and boat house if required. The rocks can be made from pieces of cork bark or model railway scenery.