Gloster Meteor F.8(R)

Started by kitbasher, July 01, 2018, 02:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Hurrah!  That's the Meteor essentially built, just need to finish painting and fitting the ejection seat and then of course the canopy before starting the main painting.  With the GB done there's no point in posting progress pics, it'll just be the final product.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

A mere 18 months after the GB's extended deadline.....it's done!

In 1955, No 6 Joint Services Trials Unit was established at Valley as a lodger unit to undertake trials with the Fairey Fireflash air-to-air guided missile, which had first been test fired from Gloster Meteor NF.11s.  Meanwhile, the Firestreak missile (then code-named Blue Jay) was being tested, first launch taking place in 1955 from a de Havilland Sea Venom, the target drone - a Fairey Firefly - being destroyed. 
Intensive trials of the both missiles were required using single-seat aircraft, to be conducted with the redesignated No 1 Guided Weapons Development Squadron in 1957 with 10 modified Supermarine Swift F7s acting as Fireflash carriers.  The unit was also engaged on the trials programme of the Firestreak infra-red homing missile, using a mix of specially-modified Meteor F.8s and Javelins of various marks.
Not wanting to further modify Swifts, and with plenty of airframes available for modification, the Air Ministry modified 10 Meteor F.8s to F.8(R) standard, the '(R)' suffix referring to the Ferranti Airpass radars fitted to Meteors, in recovered/refurbished NF.11 nose sections.  The Meteor was a highly adaptable aircraft, the F.8(R) being no exception, the additional modification being the fitting of wingtip missile rails.  The first (WK988) was delivered from No 60 Maintenance Unit at RAF Leconfield in late 1956.  Unlike the Swifts which were delivered straight from Fairey, the reworked Meteors were delivered in 60 MU colours that were worn for the duration of the Meteor trials and would later be seen on several Lightning F.1s (e.g. XM144). 
While Fireflash was only ever used as a training missile, Firestreak entered operational service with the RAF and the Royal Navy in August 1958; it was the first effective British air-to-air missile and remained in use until 1988.

The model depicts WK988 as delivered, with dummy Firestreaks attached.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, I DO like that Dave!  :thumbsup:

Is it an F8 with an NF11 radome, or an NF11 with an F8 cockpit though?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 02, 2020, 07:15:16 AM
Oh yes, I DO like that Dave!  :thumbsup:

Is it an F8 with an NF11 radome, or an NF11 with an F8 cockpit though?

an F8 with an NF11 radome, Kit.

although the build is actually a Matchbox Meteor NF with an Aeroclub F8/FR9 decking plus a Merlin F8 canopy (as it was the only one I had in my spares box apart from one with the solid rear end, which wouldn't be in keeping with the timeline).

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, so you started with an NF11, converted it to an F8 and left the NF11 radome on it?  ;D

I like it, Whiffgeneering to the max!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 02, 2020, 07:25:04 AM
Hehehe, so you started with an NF11, converted it to an F8 and left the NF11 radome on it?  ;D

Yup  ;D

Knightflyer

A very smart looking finished product. Well done  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on May 02, 2020, 08:30:05 AM
A very smart looking finished product. Well done  ;D

Totally agree  :thumbsup:

If you'd like it moved to normal build thread let me know mate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

A two seater in a training/development role isn't too much of a stretch either.  Possibly NF14s but with bang seats too?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 03, 2020, 07:42:11 AM
A two seater in a training/development role isn't too much of a stretch either.  Possibly NF14s but with bang seats too?

I'm sure the Meteor T7 must have been a cheap as chips to build and operate as I've wondered why an NF14-based trainer as described by Lee never happened?

Now I've 2 Matchbox NFs in the stash (one as an 11, the other a 14), so if one were to be replaced by a Special Hobby NF.14, and assuming I can find a non-radar nose and get the right seats......

PR19_Kit

T7s were all over the place in the day, every Meteor Squadron had a couple of them, and many were just around as Station hacks.

When I was at Benson the Ferry Training Flight had half a dozen T7s, and two T7.5s as well, plus the Station had four T7s just hanging around.  :o

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on May 03, 2020, 09:43:18 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 03, 2020, 07:42:11 AM

I'm sure the Meteor T7 must have been a cheap as chips to build and operate as I've wondered why an NF14-based trainer as described by Lee never happened?

Now I've 2 Matchbox NFs in the stash (one as an 11, the other a 14), so if one were to be replaced by a Special Hobby NF.14, and assuming I can find a non-radar nose and get the right seats......

I did an NF14 based trainer years back in an overall black scheme and FAA markings, but I doubt there's any photos on here.  IIRC, it was a straight Matchbox kit with an Airfix F3 nose and Aeroclub bang seats (apparently the NF14 was going to get them hence the revised canopy and the Treasury said the RAF couldn't have the cash.  There's a very subtle one - have I enough Matchbox bits? Edit - yes. Unfortunately.).

I meant a "straight" NF14, with the wingtip missiles and bang seats, possibly as a De Havilland development aircraft instead of the Venom that they did use.

Dave, use the Matchbox ones for whiffing and just get the new Special Hobby one for  the real thing.  That's what I'd do.  IIRC I might have the mould somewhere for a standard nose but I may have a gash fuselage kicking about too.  Yours if and when you want it. 

Edit: found a cast resin fighter nose that's of no use to me.  You may need to add a few shims of plastic card on the back but it's perfectly useable.  I did find a gash Airfix Meteor nose, but only one half...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 03, 2020, 06:16:02 AM
If you'd like it moved to normal build thread let me know mate

Very kind Chris but it can stay here.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 03, 2020, 11:03:11 AM

I meant a "straight" NF14, with the wingtip missiles and bang seats, possibly as a De Havilland development aircraft instead of the Venom that they did use.

Dave, use the Matchbox ones for whiffing and just get the new Special Hobby one for the real thing.  That's what I'd do.  IIRC I might have the mould somewhere for a standard nose but I may have a gash fuselage kicking about too.  Yours if and when you want it. 

Edit: found a cast resin fighter nose that's of no use to me.  You may need to add a few shims of plastic card on the back but it's perfectly useable.  I did find a gash Airfix Meteor nose, but only one half...

Aah, all clear now, Lee.  Missile-armed NF14 Firestreak test-bed makes sense.  I think I may have a fighter nose available (or at least an FR9/PR10 nose that could be adapted.  Let me look.

sandiego89

Great result!  glad you drug her out.  Three months, two/three years, what's the difference? - deadlines are flexible.....you don't work for government do you?  ;D

Nice job
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Glenn Gilbertson

Subtle, smart & plausible - I like it! :thumbsup: