Spanish Civil War Whifs

Started by stevehed, May 09, 2018, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stevehed

Thanks Guys, next one will be a proper whif.

JayBee

Now there is a question, define "proper"  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

stevehed

Oh, can of worms time. I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but on a personal level I'm happy to build OOB and apply alternative markings/paint schemes but I also feel I've done a "proper" job when there has been an element of kit bashing. Needn't be major or complicated, just enough so I can say to myself that's different.

Regards, Steve

Old Wombat

Yep, an OoB build with a paint/markings change is definitely a whif & I, too, am happy to do them from time to time, but anything with a physical change to the weaponry/structure feels more "proper", no matter how small or great. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 24, 2019, 05:58:26 PM
Yep, an OoB build with a paint/markings change is definitely a whif & I, too, am happy to do them from time to time, but anything with a physical change to the weaponry/structure feels more "proper", no matter how small or great. :thumbsup:

So we're talking about levels of Whiffery, then ... I tend to agree with both of you, Senior Marsupial, and Stevehed - decal-swapping is one thing, major re-builds quite another.

But, I do worry that's not being fair to those who do Photoshoppery.  I can't do any of that, so I don't know what all goes into it.  I suspect that at times it can be as challenging as, say, putting Concorde wings on a ... Mini Cooper, say (and having it look "good".)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

As I can't do the arcane arts of digital manipulation ("Bravo!" to those who can :cheers:), I was speaking about that which I know - it's all whiffery, it's all good but to some people, including Steve & myself, it doesn't really feel right until some physical aspect is changed. It's not even a matter of the degree of whiffery (whatever that is), it's just about a personal aesthetic & emotional impression.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

We are an exceptionally broad church in my experience, and all the better for it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Over 90% of my Wif's are purely paint/markings jobs or putting prototypes/projects/paper designs into service. Mainly I have to say because I don't have either the skill or the imagination to do much else, but the beauty of the site is that we welcome all, and long may that be so  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

stevehed

The Curtiss Model 32 was the last American biplane airliner. It first flew in January 1933 and 45 aircraft were built. A military bomber/transport was produced and eight aircraft were exported to Colombia and Argentina. Attempts were made to supply the Spanish Republicans from aircraft delivered via Mexico but the arms embargo prevented these machines leaving Central America and they were later sold to China. However, until recently, it was little known that the original prototypes, designated Model 31, had been sold to a Bolivian airline. These aircraft were smaller, carrying only 8-10 passengers against the 12-15 of the Model 32. The 31 had fixed undercarriage while the 32 had retractable legs which fitted into the streamlined nacelles. In 1936, after several years of successful enterprise, the airline ceased to operate and the aircraft disappeared. They turned up in Manaus in Amazonian Brazil. They had been purchased by Republican sympathisers who had the aircraft dismantled and shipped to Spain. They landed at Alicante where they were assembled and issued to the Red air force. They operated as night bombers until wear and tear saw them sacrificed as decoy targets on Republican airfields.

The kit is the Glencoe re-issue of an ITC Curtiss Condor originally issued in 1954. The instructions are dated 1990 and the kit belongs to the era of making the model fit the box hence the scale of 1/81. I thought about stretching the fuselage and wings but quickly had second thoughts and came up with the smaller cousin. It's a simple kit, basically an empty fuselage with three crew figures and wings. There is a choice of a floatplane or retractable undercarriage configuration. I'm hoping to convert the float structure into a fixed undercarriage. So far I have blocked off the cabin windows, drilled two upper gun positions, made a squarish hole in the lower fuselage for a another gun and another hole for a window which will be for the bomb aimer. Internally, AMS took hold and I've installed a floor and two stands for the gunners. The fuselage is now sealed up to stop any more frivolous thinking regarding areas that can't be seen. I've decided on a crew of five which has allowed me to use some of the figures not really suitable for open cockpits.  Regards, Steve

PR19_Kit

I LIKE the frivolous thinking.  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Excellent. :thumbsup:

The SCW is prime Whiff territory, since the ragbag of aircraft that actually did end up there and the incomplete info make alomst anything of the period credible. For that SCW GB back in 2010 I bought a whole raft of kits, but then work went mad and I ended up spending most of the GB doing overtime instead of modelling... :banghead:  Had a whole alternate timeline worked out that could even have been extended to the 1990s...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

stevehed

Thanks gentlemen. The scope within the SCW period is tremendous. I tend to stick within the timeframe but opening the French border for longer and allowing a few more ships to reach port allows the imagination to flow.

NARSES2

Great idea and as you say the Spanish Civil War, especially the Republican side, is such a canvas for whiffery  :thumbsup:

For some reason I find the sight of a 66 year old kit next to a computer keyboard slightly amusing. :rolleyes:

zenrat

Stick more modern wings (DC3?) on a Condor fuselage and you'd confuse a lot of onlookers.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..