Spanish Civil War Whifs

Started by stevehed, May 09, 2018, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: stevehed on October 29, 2022, 04:30:29 AMNot perfect but I'm sure the camouflage paint will do it's job and hide some of my sins.

Camouflage demarcation "lines" can come in very useful at time.  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stevehed

Almost there. The lower wings went on straight enough. I drilled the interplane locating struts a little deeper but they proved to be a good fit. I used ordinary polystrene cement to increase the waggle time. The secret weapon as far as this kit is concerned is the small lips that the cabane struts sit on. This pretty much ensures you get them into the right position. The rigging holes were drilled before the wings went on but as long as the rudder is fixed before hand all that is needed is to allow the glue to go tacky and then upend the kit onto the top wing. Use that waggle time to get everything lined up and then support with paint tins and bottles etc. The undercarriage came from the Matchbox Fury. The Spanish were going to build the Osprey under licence so I reckoned they might have some spares curtesy of Hawker.

As this build comes to an end I've started the other 510. This one will be largely OOB and will represent yet another rebuild on the S91 after another prang. An upgrade of a 690hp Hisso from a Potez 54 bomber means I can use the kit fuselage as it comes. The main change will be the undercarriage.

63cpe

I like what you did to the Spad. This made me search and find out more about Spad and types that followed the s XIII. Interesting types!

Be joining you soon with a project in this same topic.

David aka 63CPE

NARSES2

Good to see progress being made Steve  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stevehed

Thanks Gentlemen. David, you have me intrigued. Will plod on with the other 510 but It'll be back to WW1 soon as the ATF whif GB is approaching.

Wardukw

That's a little beauty Steve and a I do like the paint job ...I gotta do the Spad float plane ..just gotta  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

63cpe

This is what I mean Steve:

PXL_20221125_223511133 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

More on this topic here:
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49818.msg978223;topicseen#msg978223

Finally finished this project...

David aka 63cpe

stevehed

Just seen this David. A splendid example of kit bashing whiffery. Very impressive.

stevehed

Finally got these two finished. Here's the back story and photos.

The original S91 flew in the defence of Madrid and was believed to be shot down at the end of October 1936. Nothing more is heard of this machine but it now appears it may have been repaired and sent to re-inforce a small aerial component of the Republican forces which defended the Cartagena region after the Nationalists had taken Malaga. It served in an ad hoc formation comprised of the two prototype CASA parasol observation aircraft and a flight of Breguet 19 bombers. A flight of upgraded Spad 51TH fighters from Turkey made up the initial Red air strength. A half hearted attack was made by the Nationalists which was repulsed and both sides then sat back behind mountainous defensive lines for the rest of the war. The Red fighter contingent coped with the Franco fighters which comprised some Heinkel 51's and Polish PWS 10's, a parasol aircraft which was quickly re-allocated to training duties. This was the fate which befell the Red Spads after they were replaced by I-15 Chatos. The surviving aircraft were sent to the Fighter training school at Cartagena and the tender mercies of inexperienced pilots.  The S91 was once again on the receiving end of a rough landing and was despatched to Alicante for major repairs. It was probably intended to be an instructional airframe to train groundcrews but it was apparently repaired and re-engined as a project for the engine fitters. The engine used was a 690hp Hisso which was retrieved from a Potez 54 twin engine bomber. The trainees had to lengthen the fuselage to accommodate this engine and create a new undercarriage. In effect, they had upgraded the S91 to Spad 510 standards. This was a machine the Republicans had had high hopes of obtaining early in the war and it is likely that the manufacturer's manuals had made it to Spain. The deal fell through when the famous French air ace, Rene Fonck, who had sponsored the deal, demanded 2,000,000f, as a personal payment before signing the contract, and the deal fell through. The Alicante Spad was armed with four underwing mgs, could make at least 220mph, and the undercarriage was constructed from parts smuggled from England with the Westland Wallace consignment. As a single type the aircraft was sent back to Cartagena where it served with Grupo 72 alongside Breguet Parasol fighters on coastal defence and patrol duties.

First, the first repair job with the short fuselage.

The Alicante repair with the longer fuselage and upgraded engine.

The fuselage was used OOB with the radiator as AZ intended this time. I changed the prop to a three blade as if it had come from the Potez or something similar. It came from an old Airfix Gladiator. The undercarriage was made from the front section of the Novo Wallace/Everest kit with the rest of the legs from scratch strip. Wheels are white metal.

Wardukw

;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
Very very cool Steve and I'm lovin that paint job ..those colors are bright and work beautifully 😍
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 15, 2023, 06:22:23 PM;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
Very very cool Steve and I'm lovin that paint job ..those colors are bright and work beautifully 😍

They do, don't they  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 16, 2023, 01:55:31 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 15, 2023, 06:22:23 PM;D  ;D  :thumbsup:

They do, don't they  :thumbsup:
Absolutely  :thumbsup:    ;D

stevehed