Porco Rosso - Curtiss R3C-0

Started by strobez, March 04, 2018, 08:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Just a start, but I decided to tackle a couple more of the Porco Rosso planes.  Now that I've got the Savoia S.21 and Macchi M.52r on the shelf, they look a bit lonely.  So first up is the iconic blue Curtiss R3C-0 - basically the main "bad guy" plane of the movie.

So far I've managed to cut some sprues...

And get a first coat of paint on the bits...
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

I've built one of these.  Can't remember doing it so it must go together OK.
I painted the yellow and white markings as I was concerned about the opacity of the decals and wanted the yellow on the wings and rudder to match that on the underside of the floats.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

nighthunter

I really want to build the Curtiss
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

strobez

It really is a dream to fit together. If I'd been able to get my masking tape straight on the seat cushion, I'd already have it buttoned up and pretty much fully assembled.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Even rigging it was easy.  2 lines each side from floats to wing.  If there was supposed to be interwing rigging I didn't bother.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

KiwiZac

One of my favourite Cary Elwes roles. I'm excited to see this!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

strobez

Well the cockpit went together without too much fuss (and none that wasn't of my own making). I plan to do a bit of rigging, pretty much in line with how it appears in the anime film.  I learned from my experience with my Tintin Ki-10 Perry to make sure the wing struts are glued in place before the painting starts otherwise you're just asking for a gooey mess.

So she's starting to look like a plane now...

Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

A bit of a bulk update.  This one has been basically going together so smoothly that I keep forgetting to take/post any pics.

Once the construction was together, I gave it a coat of primer... no real flaws.  That's a first!  I was so excited I decided to do the white and yellow stripes first.  Seemed reasonable that the blue would cover any overlap better than the other way around.

The wing/pontoon struts are a lighter shade of blue, so I just masked off the stripes and then gave the whole plane a coating... that way it would give an even undercoat. I've had issues with blue showing the undercoat very well in the past, so I wasn't taking any chances.

Then I just masked off the struts and gave the rest of the fuselage a shot with the dark blue.  I had a little bit of an overspray issue on the floats, but nothing a bit of careful masking and another few shots of yellow couldn't fix!

Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

This is really going to be the business  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Isn't masking the yellow on the underside of the floats a complete and utter c-word of a job.

;)
Fred