Fokker F27 Troopship Mk.II in Australian Coast Guard Service

Started by rickshaw, December 08, 2017, 10:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Fokker F27 Troopship Mk.II in Australian Coast Guard Service

After the Tampa affair, and the declaration of the War on Terrorism, in 2001 Kim Beazley announced that the Australian Labor Party, if in government, would establish an Australian Coast Guard "responsible for conducting Australia's coastal surveillance and meeting Australia's maritime protection needs, including in relation to illegal immigration, drugs, fisheries, and quarantine-related issues". This plan met with criticism. Defence Minister Peter Reith under the Liberal-Coalition Government criticised Beazley for stating that an Australian Coast Guard both will and will not be an "answer to the question of people smuggling". The plan was criticised by the Australian government, on the grounds that it would either be prohibitively expensive or inadequate to the task. Later, the motives for the establishment of an Australian Coast Guard were interpreted by some as "a plan to extend the capabilities of the Australian Federal Police."

After the defeat of the Howard Government in the 2003 election, the ALP Government, let by Simon Crean instituted the Australian Coast Guard – a subsidiary organisation, run by the Australian Federal Police and intended to protect Australia's coast line from incursion by illegal  people smugglers and drug runners and to rescue wayward seafarers.   Equipped initially with mainly cast off equipment from the RAAF and the RAN, the ACG was intended to secure the coastline out to 1,000 km.

In this case, we have a Fokker F27 Troopship Mk.II.  The Fokker was originally used by the RAAF as a light, tactical transport and was designed to be common with the civilian F27 Friendship.  The RAAF was the launch customer for the Troopship Mk.II which introduced a large ramp at the rear to facilitate tactical loading directly onto the back of a medium truck.

By the time of the formation of the ACG, the RAAF were looking for replacements for the elderly Troopships.   They were considered perfect for Coast Guard use and were adopted in squadron strength, where they still serve today.

The Model

The model is a combination of an Esci 1/72 F27 Friendship and a Heller 1/100 Transall.   The model was painted with a hairy stick using Tamiya and Vallejo Acylics.  The Decals came from the spares box and Kit Speckman Enterprises.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Ahah, THAT'S why the 'SAR' decals need to be so huge!  :thumbsup: ;D

Another great idea, but how did you so the tail door please? It's very subtle.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 09, 2017, 12:40:32 AM

Yes, where do the 1/100 Transall come in?
Did you use his tail for the tail door? Photos during the build would have been interesting.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Gondor

Quote from: loupgarou on December 09, 2017, 12:48:53 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 09, 2017, 12:40:32 AM

Yes, where do the 1/100 Transall come in?
Did you use his tail for the tail door? Photos during the build would have been interesting.

If you look very, very carefully you can just see a subtle change in the contour of the rear fuselage where the Transal tail has been added to the Fokker fuselage.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

Gondor has it basically right.  The Transal tail has been grafted onto the front fuselage of the F27.  It took quite a large wedge of plasticard to match the two fuselage diameters.

How did I do the rear door?   With the same self-adhesive tape I did the pin-stripes with.  There is no door, just an outline.   I felt a door was necessary for paratrooping and so added one.   :thumbsup:

I have to admit, Kit that I've been a little lazy about your extra titles.  They are on the model but I haven't bothered with any photos of it wearing them.   Perhaps the next time I take photos of something else?  Perhaps the F-15?  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on December 09, 2017, 03:42:22 AM

I have to admit, Kit that I've been a little lazy about your extra titles.  They are on the model but I haven't bothered with any photos of it wearing them.   Perhaps the next time I take photos of something else?  Perhaps the F-15?  ;)

An Australian Coastguard F-15?  :o

That'd be SERIOUSLY 'protecting Australia's coast line from incursion by illegal  people smugglers and drug runners'!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

Very nice, the tail surgery is very subtle - but it looks REALLY great, and makes sense, too! Any WiP pics from the marriage?

Great idea - earmarked for an F27 in the stash!  :thumbsup:

Paper Kosmonaut

Oh this is so funny! At the moment I too am working/hacking away on a Fokker F-27. And I did exactly the same with the tail. Only I used the Fokker's origiinal tail for the build. It still is far from finished but it will be very different from this one here or the original. I like this one too, the colours are great and well, being Dutch, I cannot help being a little chauvinistic about this magnificent little beast. That upward tail looks really good on an F-27, doesn't it?
Nice work, Rick!
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Glenn Gilbertson

Weaver

Nice one - looks good!  :thumbsup:

Presumably 'Kit Speckman Enterprises' is run by Kit's South African cousin.... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on December 09, 2017, 05:15:24 PM

Presumably 'Kit Speckman Enterprises' is run by Kit's South African cousin.... ;)

Hehehe, I can do the accent if you like?  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.