Studio Ghibli Mystery Project(s)!

Started by strobez, July 08, 2017, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Ah, a gardener.

I was joking about knitting a Totoro but as is often the case it turns out the joke is on me as there are many Totoro knitting patterns on the interweb.
I shall be requesting my mother to make me one.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

Oooh... I have a mother who knits too!
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

Heh... well each of those squares on my green cutting mat is 1cm... so... regular sized!
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

I'm just amazed that you can produce work of such quality and detail, from scratch at that size  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

Thanks for the kind words. Now if only I really could build a 1/72 scale teapot ship from the Ghibli film Arietty. THEN I'd be satisfied. 

Heh, that just gave me an idea though... stay tuned!

Anyway, last night I put the finishing touches on the Aero-Kayak from Howl's Moving Castle.  I find that it's become a bit of a race between several of the mini-projects as they near fruition.  As it becomes clear which one is going to be the "winner", I slowly set aside the other WIP builds and focus on getting the chosen one over the finish line.  That helps with making sure I don't forget any of the final touch details.

Luckily, given that I'm redoing the Mehve from Nausicaa, I gave the stand I built for it the first time over to the Laputa Flapter. It seemed a better fit, so I was able to just repurpose the original Flapter stand for the Aero-Kayak with very little modification. I basically just snapped the end off and touched up the paint.

Despite the u-turn for a scale adjustment in the middle of this build, I'm quite happy with the result. The paint was a bit darker than I was aiming for, but not enough for me to want to redo it. I also might have toned down the rivets, but once you start putting them at 1mm intervals, you're pretty much committed.

Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Hell yeah!! This keeps getting better.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Really good metal effects on that one! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 02, 2017, 06:23:31 PM
Really good metal effects on that one! :thumbsup:

Yup  :thumbsup: I'm running out of superlatives on this one  :bow:

Spey_Phantom

i like what im seeing, looking forward to more  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

strobez

Right now it looks like the Nausicaa Mehve do-over will take over the pole position.  That should be easy to do since it's basically just... white. ;)

Jiro's birdplane is coming in for a landing as well, and work is finally progressing again (after another long bout of sanding) on the Ponyo submarine.

There's still a few more kits on the work-bench to fil in after that though... including the car from Laputa (although I'm deciding what to do about the wheels... 1/72 spoked wheels are tough to come by).  The Laputa Gardner robot is shaping up as well... and I'm hoping my small eBay purchase shows up soon.
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

If Nils likes it, then it HAS to be good!  :mellow:

As predicted, the Nausicaa Mehve is across the finish line (although I'm still working on the stand).

It was a bit of work, but in the end, I'm glad I did a do-over on this one.  It's iconic to Miyazaki fans, and a central showpiece in my growing collection of mini-builds.

Besides a bit of shading on the paint job, the only thing really new was the "seat" belt.  I used a bit of tape and some silver wire to get that job done.  I was feeling reckless (and the tape was a bit too long) so I added a buckle too.  <_<

The bottom vents are just solid and painted. I tried all sorts of things to create a vent-like shape, but it was just to small.  I was able to origami up some plastic paper, but it was so thin that even a tiny amount of glue would make it melt. Oh, well.  You can't really tell anyway... right!?

At least I got the engine to sit straight without reducing everything into a gluey mess while trying to wrestle it into place.

Meanwhile, My (very) little package from eBay arrived, so I couldn't resist getting started. So I grabbed this kit out of my stash...

...and then pulled out the motorcycle sprue and plunked it down next to the eBay arrival.  I originally bought the kit just for the motorcycle bits, intended for my Totoro mini-truck, but when I saw the sprue I didn't have the heart to chop it up.  Luckily I had an idea to use it for it's intended purpose - building a motorcycle!

What arrived from eBay was a 1/72 scale (and spot on I might add!) Fiat 500.  It's supposed to be a throw-away "pull back" toy from the 1970s/80s I think.  Regardless, the moulding is quite finely detailed, so for $3 I had o have it.  It solved my problem of how to scratchbuild a Fiat 500 in 1/72 nearly perfectly. The ONLY tiny problem is that the doors are backwards on this model, so I'm debating if I want to try and remove the handle/hinge and swap them or not.

I also happened to have stumbled across a small snap kit from Bandai that's helpful.  The kit is originally from a Kamen Rider (like) series, but I thought I might be able to use the wheels from it.  I certainly can, and even though the upper body is basically solid (with stickers for windows), the bonus was the chassis.

Obviously too long and a bit too wide, but snip snip glue glue... and we have a top, a bottom and four wheels... I call that a car!

Now the only question, dear friends... is which car?  ;)
Thanks!

Greg

nighthunter

strobez, any plans for the Half-track?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

strobez

Quote from: nighthunter on September 04, 2017, 10:05:10 PM
strobez, any plans for the Half-track?

Nope... well, besides "leave it in the box until some future time where I find I need it".  ;)

Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Just added a buckle ???:o

My admiration for your skills and eyesight just continues to grow   :bow: