Hovercraft M.A.R.C. Z-360 - FINISHED

Started by CANSO, May 27, 2017, 10:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CANSO

Quote from: jalles on June 04, 2017, 04:12:58 PM
Wow, that's awesome!  :thumbsup:  It's amazing how such random looking parts can be combined into such a cohesive piece.
Quote from: AXU on June 04, 2017, 05:01:46 PM
Congrats  :thumbsup: this is my kind of modeling and I love what you did,great job !!!  :wub:
Thank you, guys! I'm happy that I could finish in time and stay in tempo with the others.
Jalles, the parts do not look random to me, when deciding what to use and what not. It's usually a longer than a week process, but this time I had to hurry. This build consists of over 100 parts (not counting the shims, filler pieces and parts that disappeared in the bigger elements. Each boom has ca. 30 parts and the body has 45 or so. Some of the greebles are made of multiple parts I didn't count separately: the jet engine has 4 parts for example and the bumps on the exterior side of the booms are in fact cowlings from B-29 in 1:144. The latter have the complete engines inside with axle, back plate etc - the engines can be seen on one of the photos from the building process. The twin guns on the other side look very complex, but are a single part etc.
With other words many parts come in question, but those chosen for the build must have some matching characteristics.
And 2 fun facts ;):
1. Looking at the model my wife told me that it has a robot's face :rolleyes: - I never intended to do it. It was just a combination of grills and panels for me:

2. The whole model is absolutely symmetrical - all parts are mirrored left and right. The only part being asymmetrical is the small camera pod on the top of the fuselage (has 2 different lenses). To develop further the idea of asymmetry, paying tribute to Tophe in the same time ;) I added the big infrared camera to the left side only:

Cheers!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Old Wombat

Awesome job! Has a Pkf 85 Falke (from Ma.K) about it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Brilliant.
:thumbsup:
I can't believe you did all that in so little time.  Are you related to Dizzyfugu?  :unsure: ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Pure modelling genius!! :bow: Excellent work on the model and the spoke is such a good idea, i've got quite a few in my bike parts stash and might have to use it one of these days! :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

CANSO

Thank you guys! :thumbsup:
I'm happy you like the model. It's in fact just a prototype - some details were meant to look in a different way, but the accident with the glue changed my plans.
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 04, 2017, 09:27:08 PM
Awesome job! Has a Pkf 85 Falke (from Ma.K) about it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yes, Falke/Griffon is one of my favorite designs. I never built one even if I have some in the stash (shame). But there are several antigravity platforms with the same layout: twin booms and single propulsion. For this particular model I was actually influenced by a ship called Triakis from the computer game Wipeout:

I wanted to open some cockpit windows and have a pilot, but the time was not enough so I opted for the Falke-solution (no glazing, sensors only).
Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2017, 02:57:20 AM
Brilliant.
I can't believe you did all that in so little time.  Are you related to Dizzyfugu?  :unsure: ;D
No I'm not and we follow different pats ;). The time was not enough and I wanted to do much more than this - I'm thinking of rebuilding the model later. But on the other hand if one has the parts prepared and has a vision what to build it's not that hard to put them together. The slowest process is putting/sanding and honestly this is the part I don't like at all.
Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 05, 2017, 06:05:11 AM
Pure modelling genius!! :bow: Excellent work on the model and the spoke is such a good idea, i've got quite a few in my bike parts stash and might have to use it one of these days! :cheers:
As I wrote before the spokes are really small technology gems. The spoke nipples look also very good when exposed. Multiple spokes (parallel  to each other) make a very nice picture when put in a different context e.g. supports for a round platform or stringers for a structure, not covered by skin.
Cheers!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Wow. Great build lots of bits in there !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CANSO

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 05, 2017, 08:22:18 AM
Absolutely incredible  :bow:
Quote from: Captain Canada on June 07, 2017, 05:55:49 AM
Wow. Great build lots of bits in there ! :thumbsup:
Thank you, guys!
Captain, you're right about the bits - as I mentioned before there were more than 100 parts altogether and probably 35-40 are the bigger ones (body halves, booms, "shoulders" made of helicopters etc.) The remaining 60 are greebles taken from models, toys, everyday objects etc. Some of them remain often hidden, unless detailed photos have been done. My favorite greeble was not shown very well in the finished model photos. Here it is exposed:

Under the nose, between the 2 guns there is a small element 15x15mm with 2 spherical "sensors" and 4 rectangular "intakes":

This in fact is a backpack from a Warhammer 40K Space Marine:

I simply love this part! :wub: