Author Topic: Nick's Notes  (Read 22328 times)

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Nick's Notes
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2020, 09:47:30 am »
This week I have been painting the bathroom. Again.  :rolleyes:
It started when Mum bought a new shower head. I saw nothing wrong with the old one but she said...
That included a new hose and then she ordered new shelves and is now looking for a new bath rack.

A lot of PSR was needed to repair the wall where the rusty old shelves needed taking off. Fortunately we still have a tiny amount of the paint left as it has been discontinued. It's going quite thick too.

At the same time we did need to repaint the ceiling where the paint was peeling off after a leak of some sort. Needed 4 coats to stop the stain showing through.  :banghead:
I did have a big fresh tub of white paint in the shed but I still had to make an essential visit to B&Q for new roller brushes and some tile cleaner spray (reduced to 1.60!).

Thankfully the new aluminium shelves don't need drilling. They have self adhesive strips that stick to the tiles. There are screw threads poking out of each strip and you then bolt the shelf to the strip.

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2020, 02:22:38 am »
To hide water stains paint over them with oil based undercoat before putting on the emulsion.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere for your convenience..

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2020, 04:57:56 am »
To hide water stains paint over them with oil based undercoat before putting on the emulsion.
Ah, good idea, bit late for that now. Thanks anyway.

Modelling wise I made a fair start on my Avia B.534. Made by KP about 50 years ago it has more flash than an 80s movie. The fuselages don't align well as the right side is approx 1 millimetre smaller all round than the left.
The pilot has been starved going by the massive hole in his belly  ;D  and his seat just sits loose in the cockpit area, nothing to line it up with. Thankfully the canopy is so thick you won't be able to tell after I close it up!

I had an issue with the decals being so old and yellowed but Chris was kind enough to provide some Slovak markings as this is a RW build for the club. As I'm not fluent in Czech the instructions were near nonsense but I can guess by the drawings.

Here's a trick - if you need instructions or colour plans for a kit then check on manufacturers websites. Eduard produce a B.534 (which must be far superior to this) and they kindly provide their instructions online. I was able to print out the colour scheme for a Slovak machine and noted the paints needed. I then had to convert to Tamiya and Humbrol but it makes life easier.

On the other side of the bench I have a trio of Dewoitine D.520 to be getting on with. I thought I had one Hobbyboss kit to do, nice and easy. But no. The contents of the box are actually 3 ancient Frog kits that I picked up for 2 in a mass bundle 4 years ago. I think I ruined the Hobbyboss one with bad paint and dumped it.

Again Chris has come to the rescue with some nice Romanian markings. I still have the Hobbyboss decals so at least one will be real French.
The original instructions are on Scalemates.  :blink: https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/3/8/154638-14-instructions.pdf
A production line is planned for these so I get all built in one session and then paint them.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2020, 06:29:16 am »
The Eduard 534 is obviously a labour of love Nick as it really is a beauty and builds brilliantly. If you ever want to treat yourself  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!