Author Topic: My stash just grew again (2016)  (Read 112723 times)

Offline TheChronicOne

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • -Sprues McDuck-
Re: My stash just grew again (2016)
« Reply #1080 on: September 02, 2016, 03:34:39 pm »
I can't tell which this is... I ran the numbers and uhh....  According to wiki the U2's wingspan is 103 (feet) wide so I multiplied that by 12 to convert into inches then divided that number by both 48 and 72 and got 25.75 and 17 (and change), respectively. The box says it has a 20 inch wingspan.  Either I'm not doing my math correctly (although I've checked it on models before and it lined up) or the U2 is an oddball size, or the box is full of milarkey. LOL  Googling the kit tells me it's 1/48 so I'm going to assume that's correct and the people who made the canopies know what they're doing. 

Thank you for the tips on canopies, I found one (Squadron) for a bit over $10 U.S. so if I can't come up with the missing one or find a really good alternative method.. I know where it's at.   

-Sprues McDuck-

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #1081 on: September 02, 2016, 03:37:32 pm »
An order from Hannants arrived this morning

2 x 1/144 Revell A-10 Thunderbolt II's Eventually to be built as per the box but also to be used as a set of parts for moulding some engines for a little project I have.

1 x Falcon Triple Conversion V bought mainly for the F4H-1 conversion parts

Gondor

Sounds pretty cool! I'll be looking forward to seeing/hearing more about your project. 

That's funny, but looking at an A-10 on Ebay that was missing half of one engine cowling piece is what got me first interested in doing my own moulds and parts. Small world....    ;)  (also a 1/144 joke... heh ... heh...     )
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #1082 on: September 04, 2016, 01:43:42 am »
I can't tell which this is... I ran the numbers and uhh....  According to wiki the U2's wingspan is 103 (feet) wide so I multiplied that by 12 to convert into inches then divided that number by both 48 and 72 and got 25.75 and 17 (and change), respectively. The box says it has a 20 inch wingspan.  Either I'm not doing my math correctly (although I've checked it on models before and it lined up) or the U2 is an oddball size, or the box is full of milarkey. LOL  Googling the kit tells me it's 1/48 so I'm going to assume that's correct and the people who made the canopies know what they're doing. 

Thank you for the tips on canopies, I found one (Squadron) for a bit over $10 U.S. so if I can't come up with the missing one or find a really good alternative method.. I know where it's at.

I have found this website useful when working out correct scale sizes: http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm  However..... it says your maths is correct!  :lol:
I'd get the kit and measure it. It may be box-scale.

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #1083 on: September 04, 2016, 02:02:57 am »
Shot a Revell Hawker Hunter in 1:72 for EUR 5,- from ev!lbay. W/o box, decals and instructions, but who needs these, anyway...?

Offline Steel Penguin

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #1084 on: September 04, 2016, 03:17:59 am »
just back from the Wombourne show its around 6 miles away, but a little further today due to marathon traffic  ( lots of runners not ....)
an academy 3 in 1 M113 in 1:35 got  for the crew and Vietnamese foot figures that accompany it
a Tamiya  1:48  T10 JSDF tank kit, for use if /  when I do something Gate inspired.
Redone 19/08/15  the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady added 07/10/18   take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances.   wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront

Offline ericr

« Reply #1085 on: September 04, 2016, 04:11:14 am »
W/o box, decals and instructions, but who needs these, anyway...?

:thumbsup:

(I have loads of unused decals stored ...)

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #1086 on: September 04, 2016, 06:11:43 am »

Roger! I'll do that. I'm curious now myself what's going on with the discrepancies. 

That converter is neat, thanks!   Reports to follow on actually model size....   

I have found this website useful when working out correct scale sizes: http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm  However..... it says your maths is correct!  :lol:
I'd get the kit and measure it. It may be box-scale.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #1087 on: September 04, 2016, 12:20:38 pm »
Hastings in the U.S. is going out of business so got I these both at %40 off for a grand total of $28 after tax:

Aztec!!!

I've always wanted one of these.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:23:36 pm by TheChronicOne »
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #1088 on: September 05, 2016, 03:02:50 am »
I'm trying to visualise a Black Widow with warp nacelles - A P-1701?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #1089 on: September 05, 2016, 05:39:20 am »
...and I had the vision of an Enterprise with radials (and maybe a twin tail)?  :blink:

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #1090 on: September 05, 2016, 09:03:22 am »
Hahaha!  You guys are something else!!

;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #1091 on: September 05, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »
An Eduard 72 Spitfire mk IX "Royal Combo" off ebay - 50 notes seems quite reasonable for 4 kits.

;D

That arrived on friday and much gleeful rubbing of hands was had.  Looking forward to trying out the beer glass!

Off ebay:
Airkit - Seafire 15
Airkit - Seafire 45
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham."

The Plan - a Blog
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.html

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #1092 on: September 06, 2016, 02:38:06 pm »
Today's lightning raid on Uncle Frank's released an Airfix "Firedog" Beaufighter into my evil clutches, along with some Vampire T.11 decals.  Only wanted them for the Jordanian markings but some of the other options look rather tasty too.  And I have a decent quantity of Airfix Vampires thanks to Home Bargains...
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

The Plan - a Blog

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #1093 on: September 06, 2016, 03:02:00 pm »
Sweet. I wish we had a Home Bargains over here. I need a Vampire for an up coming build for this very message board. Need it sort of fast, too  (I think you guys will get a kick out of it!)

I'm watching one on Ebay and I might try to shoot a "best offer" and hope he accepts it.   There aren't any stores anywhere near here that sell kits and supplies other than Hobby Lobby.  Next closer options involved either a 100 mile or 250 mile round trip to either Texas or Oklahoma City. No thanks! LOL

Nice score on the Beau!!    :lol: That thing is sweet.

-Sprues McDuck-

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #1094 on: September 06, 2016, 03:30:27 pm »
The nosecone, fin fillet and torpedo drop tank are going towards a part started one, which I'll look at towards the end of the year.

The Plan - a Blog