Earthquake Bombs

Started by KJ_Lesnick, November 14, 2015, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

kitnut617

I found the dimensions for diamater: 328" provided my source is right.  The fineness ratios are in the 6:1 range so they seem to be correct.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kitnut617

The bomb is not 27 feet in diameter --  but 328" might be good for the length
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

KJ_Lesnick

kitnut617

QuoteThe bomb is not 27 feet in diameter --  but 328" might be good for the length
LOL, yes, that is what I meant :rolleyes:
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kitnut617

One thing you need not to do, is rely on wiki.  It's not always accurate -----  most of it is just copied from other sources and errors can be repeated.  You need to check information from a number of sources, then check where the info came from

You reference to a wiki source which says the B-36 max bomb load is 44,000 lb is one glaring error  ------

The B-36 could carry two T12's  --- or four Grand Slams.

dogsbody

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 24, 2015, 03:17:24 AM
One thing you need not to do, is rely on wiki.  It's not always accurate -----  most of it is just copied from other sources and errors can be repeated.  You need to check information from a number of sources, then check where the info came from

You reference to a wiki source which says the B-36 max bomb load is 44,000 lb is one glaring error  ------

The B-36 could carry two T12's  --- or four Grand Slams.

A B-29 could carry two Grand Slams.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

kitnut617

Nice one Chris, and a pic of the four 4000lbers I've not seen before.

But here's a comparison between a B-29 and a B-36

And this is a pic of a B-29 with a T12 hanging under it.  BTW, I got this photo from Boeing Archives before the internet came into common use.  I had to buy it and also sign for a license which allows me to do what I want with it.  Things we had to do which you take for granted Robin/Kendra.

I also have a high resolution photo of the pic Chris posted of the B-29 carrying two Grand Slams, another bought with a license from Boeing.

NARSES2

Every time I see that B-29/B-36 photo I just go  :blink: :blink: :blink: It really is incredible.

Neat photos of those 4,000lb's on the B-29  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Having got used to B-29s at RAF Upper Heyford when the USAF took over the place in 1950, I was then able to see B-36s o'head when we lived in Oxford some 6 - 7 years later. For some reason I always thought they were of similar sizes till I saw the pic that Robert posted, but then I was looking at the 36's from some 2-3000 ft below them.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dogsbody

with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

dogsbody

with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

wuzak

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 24, 2015, 02:32:20 PM
And this is a pic of a B-29 with a T12 hanging under it.  BTW, I got this photo from Boeing Archives before the internet came into common use.  I had to buy it and also sign for a license which allows me to do what I want with it.  Things we had to do which you take for granted Robin/Kendra.

My book on the B-29 has that picture, but suggests that it is the Tallboy bomb.

However, looking at the size of the bomb compared to the man, it would be unlikely.

The book, from what I have read, has quite a few errors.

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 24, 2015, 02:32:20 PM
I also have a high resolution photo of the pic Chris posted of the B-29 carrying two Grand Slams, another bought with a license from Boeing.

My B-29 book has these two pictures as well.

In the caption the author claims that the B-29 could carry two Grand Slams and its normal internal bomb load or bomb bay fuel tanks. I find that difficult to believe, as the normal bomb load was 20,000lb, and that combination would be 44,000lb over. Bomb bay fuel tanks would be more believable, as the extra fuel would be required and it is lighter than bombs.

kitnut617

Quote from: wuzak on December 25, 2015, 04:37:35 PM
My book on the B-29 has that picture, but suggests that it is the Tallboy bomb.
However, looking at the size of the bomb compared to the man, it would be unlikely.
The book, from what I have read, has quite a few errors.

I had written to Boeing to see what they had on the Grand Slam tests after reading something about it in an Air-Britain article (my Dad served in 617 Sqn. during the time they were using Tallboys and Grand Slams so I was very interested about it), and the photo of the T12 in the bomb bay was the first picture they offered to me. When I received it I could see that it wasn't a Grand Slam, let alone a Tallboy.  I wrote back to them (I had a contact in their Archive section) and queried it. I was told that it was in fact a T12 which was called a Grand Slam sometimes.  The contact them offered me the photo of the B-29 carrying the two Grand Slams which I then bought off them.  Both photos are of very high resolution and are 8x11 in size.  Since I got the photos I have seen them appear in various publications and now on the internet. Tallboys were also test dropped by B-29's and I was told they could be enclosed in the bomb bay with the doors closed.

In my photo of the B-29 and two Grand Slams, and looking it over with a magnifying glass, there's a man's face in the side bubble looking out at the photo plane, he is very clear in the photo.

The clue to why the T12 had a shortened tail cone is very obvious in the photo of the B-29/T12

wuzak

I didn't think the B-29 bomb bays weren't long enough to hold a tallboy internally.

The Thin Man nuclear bomb (38" diameter, 17' long) needed the bomb bays to be modified so that it could be carried under the wing section. The Tallboy was the same diameter but longer and heavier (21' long and 12,000lb vs 8,000lb for the Thin Man).

kitnut617

I've got an article somewhere which shows how the Tallboy was installed inside the bomb bays, it's in a box somewhere where it's been since my house move a number of years ago.  To much other stuff to do at the moment to spend time trying to look for it.

dogsbody

Found this in my Photobucket.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,