Author Topic: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'  (Read 121460 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PR19_Kit

  • Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • *****
  • Posts: 29937
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1365 on: June 22, 2019, 12:19:28 pm »
Suprisingly the  Matchbox Hunter T7 cockpit fits on the front of the Heller Mirage IVP,  I just need to find the suitable landing gear.

This mix sounds particularly interesting... :thumbsup:


Why not transfer the IVP gear across?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline McColm

  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • *****
  • Posts: 7439
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1366 on: June 22, 2019, 01:19:50 pm »
Suprisingly the  Matchbox Hunter T7 cockpit fits on the front of the Heller Mirage IVP,  I just need to find the suitable landing gear.

This mix sounds particularly interesting... :thumbsup:


Why not transfer the IVP gear across?
The IVP was a 'spares or repair ' with the gear up ,cockpit glazing missing and circular radar missing on Ebay as a job lot. The Airfix Avro Vulcan minus the landing gear and cockpit glazing  I used on The Mighty Thor build along with the Revell  Blohm and Voss BV-222 kit,  the third model was a  Airfix
 C-130E/H which had seen better days and I've added the triple tail fins from a Heller Lockheed Constellation,  Mil-24 rotor stack,  a pair of twin jet pods from the B-36 Peacemaker,  the resin nose of the Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 and the fuselage doors are from an Italeri  HC-130J as this kit has the
 C-130E doors and inflight refuelling probe as spare parts.

Offline McColm

  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • *****
  • Posts: 7439
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1367 on: July 06, 2019, 12:20:21 pm »
Saturday 6th July 2019

I have been working on the  'Mighty Thor ', PSR and added the rear landing gear.  So it's no longer a tail sitter. I knew that B-36 would come in handy for something.  It's one step closer to getting a  coat of primer.
Why has Academy gone to the trouble of including the the beds for the crew of the B-29 when there are no windows at the rear? I'm sure the  Airfix kit didn't have as much cockpit detail as this kit has,  yes you are right the Academy kit doesn't fit the Airfix kit.
My attention has been drawn to the Ford Crown Victoria,  mine was a 'spares and repair ' model kit in 1/24 or 1/25 scale as used by the taxi trade and law enforcement agencies in the USA.  A respray is overdue with a possible estate/station wagon.

Offline McColm

  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • *****
  • Posts: 7439
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1368 on: July 07, 2019, 07:09:35 am »
Sunday 7th July 2019

Why do kit manufacturers give you loads of detailing to do on the inside of the fuselage which when glued together you can't see?
Apart from the pilot and the co-pilot on the 1/72 Academy Boeing
B-29A/KB-29P you can't see what is in the rear of the cockpit,  fortunately for me I have kept the fishbowl side windows from the rear of the kit.  I used the KB-29P layout at the rear with the smaller windows.
This is unusual for me as everything fits in the fuselage so far,  it's the wings and bomb bay doors that can cause problems.  I think for this build I will add the landing gear before painting as I can work out how much clearance I have when fitting the dipping radar dome.

Offline McColm

  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • *****
  • Posts: 7439
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1369 on: July 13, 2019, 04:35:01 am »
Saturday 13th July 2019

The theme is to get as many builds to the paint stage,  having given up the to rear turbofaned engines on the Avro Shackiteer for the Shackleton MR.7B twin jet pods have been found in one of my spares boxes which now totals 6 jet engines based on a tailless  MR.3 Shackleton. I've also came across a spare main landing leg which I need to glue in place.
I also bought the Freightdog SeaKing inflatable AEW radome which I will use on the MR.7B.
 News on the Armstrong Whitworth Whitley and the Rolls-Royce Griffon engines taken from a Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3 are now glued in place.  I should have used an earlier mark of model to get a better fit. Having said that the gap does make an excellent air intake for the engines.
 The B-29 is on hold for the moment as I have pinched the wings and engines for the Stirling.  I might have a pair of Lockheed Constellation wings somewhere in the stash.

Offline McColm

  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • *****
  • Posts: 7439
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1370 on: July 14, 2019, 04:37:33 am »
Sunday 14th July 2019

I've gone back to adding a pair of Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3 wings on the Italeri Short Stirling Cadillac.
The Academy B-29 will get it's wings back but the powerplant will be different.