F2G Super Corsair U.S. Naval Reserves Olathe, Kansas 1956

Started by johnsjunk, January 17, 2015, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsjunk

What if the F2G Super Corsair was mass produced during WWII? There would have been a lot of Naval Reserve units around the U.S. after V.J. Day well into the 50's. I first saw an F4U-4 Corsair in Blythe, California painted in this color scheme when I was a kid and have always liked it. I have always loved the F2G and thought what if...

I bought the Special Hobby kit since it is the only kit in 1/48th scale. Not overly impressed with the kit as far as detail goes. What I was impressed with was the fuselage and bubble canopy and resin R-4360. I didn't like the resin cockpit. So, I went on ePAY and bought a Tamiya F4U-1D and used everything but the front and rear half of the fuselage. I cut the cockpit out and filed the outer detail away till I had just the inside detail left and glued it in the F2G cockpit and added the complete Tamiya cockpit.

The resin R-4360 was a kit in it self! There are 28 cylinders to cute and glue to the engine case. In the end I really had fun building the R-4360.

I used the -1D wing, flaps and landing gear for the great detail Tamiya is known for. All I had to do was cut the lower exhaust outlet of the S.H. wing and graft it to the -1D wing. I used Quick Boost horizontal stabilizer and elevator. Paints are all Testors rattle cans. Decals are from Hasegawa.

Captain Canada

Nice ! Love the paint scheme....looks really good like that. Seems to change from angle to angle. Love the stance of this bird as well. Looks fast and powerful.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

I've got a racing version in the stash in 1/48. Like I need another project
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Quote from: johnsjunk on January 17, 2015, 08:09:31 PM
I cut the cockpit out and filed the outer detail away till I had just the inside detail left and glued it in the F2G cockpit and added the complete Tamiya cockpit.
Wow! Nothing remains of this hard surgery, the final result is so perfect... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Army of One

That looks awesome.... :thumbsup:.......there are some South American schemes I'd love to see that in......you have the skills of a surgeon.........!!!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Steel Penguin

that has a real "presence" to it.  Well done on it  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

That's magnificent.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Reminds me that I have a 1/72 Super Corsair conversion somewhere, I really must look it out.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

I really like the Super Corsair as an aircraft and that model is just  :bow: :bow:

I've built the Special Hobby kit as a FAA aircraft post war
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

FAR148

kerick

I'm curious, is that a transitional color scheme or new paint on some parts and old paint on others?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

johnsjunk

Thank you all for the great comments!

Quote from: kerick on January 19, 2015, 05:37:26 PM
I'm curious, is that a transitional color scheme or new paint on some parts and old paint on others?

To be honest I have never read or heard anything about the paint scheme. I would guess that at some point it went through an IRAN ( Inspect Repair As Necessary) and all the Gray canvas covering needed replacing and all that was around were Dark Sea Blue ones.

Here is the F4U-4 I based it on in 1970ish. I'm in the middle.

kerick

Great picture! Always a good day with Dad and the boys. Nice Kansas flatland in the background. Is that a P-38 back there?
Tophe the Wise