Author Topic: Zenrat's Flying Circus  (Read 223776 times)

Online zenrat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Currently on double secret probation.
Re: Zenrat's Flying Circus
« Reply #2685 on: July 27, 2019, 07:53:28 pm »
Thanks Chris.
The trick will be to scribe the line without splitting the glue joint.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Online zenrat

« Reply #2686 on: July 27, 2019, 08:11:20 pm »
Some very quick research later.

Me 109s were built from two halves like a big model kit.  One half overlapped the other.  This means that not only should there be a seam along the top and the bottom but it should be slightly offset.
In 1/72 the offset would be negligible.
I did an interweb search for "Bf 109 panel line" which was probably a mistake as it exposed me to the writings of some very obsessed people - JMNs of the highest order.
Apparently Me 110s & 262s were also built this way as were FW 190s and other aircraft.  However, some of them got filler applied along the seam before they were painted.  A big can of worms methinks.  I shall try to leave the lid on...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #2687 on: July 28, 2019, 12:00:26 am »
A big can of worms methinks.  I shall try to leave the lid on...

You feeling OK, Fred? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2688 on: July 28, 2019, 12:18:43 am »

;D ;D
Decals my @r$e!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2689 on: July 28, 2019, 12:23:08 am »

I did an interweb search for "Bf 109 panel line" which was probably a mistake as it exposed me to the writings of some very obsessed people - JMNs of the highest order.

I did the same thing (bar I use ME rather than Bf) and got the same thing. Interesting interior shot of a 109 fuselage in construction which show the two halves were joined by a narrow, presumably H, section.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #2690 on: July 28, 2019, 01:27:18 am »
What all those people don't realize is that one is as good as the other, really. I'm just going to start calling it the "MF-109. "
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #2691 on: July 28, 2019, 02:18:29 am »
MeBf-109? :angel:

Online zenrat

« Reply #2692 on: July 28, 2019, 04:24:44 am »
Hmmmm, disappearing replies again.

This is a can not worth opening here as it would not cause enough of a fuss - most of us are too sensible to care particularly deeply whether or not others adhere to this sort panel line accuracy.
By that I mean that while there are some here who like to be that accurate they do not have the character flaw which obliges them to decry anyone who does not share their obsession.

I have rescribed those panel lines the Me 109 lost through PSR and added some along the top and bottom of the fuselage.  I then painted the lower surfaces.  I was planning to use one of the RW long wing schemes from the back of the box but despite having what appears to be many many RLM paint shades I don't appear to have the exact ones needed.  Rather than buy those colours I don't have I will just use the closest ones i've got.  I'm not convinced Vallejo's paints are that accurate anyway.

Masking and respraying the Privateer went without a hitch.  it needs some touching up with hairy stick and then I might add a touch more fading on the upper surfaces before I add painted over USAF markings and zenrat industries branding.

Spitfire 1 now has the underside of one wing painted a different colour to the other.

Fred

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #2693 on: July 28, 2019, 04:42:08 pm »
I was planning to use one of the RW long wing schemes from the back of the box but despite having what appears to be many many RLM paint shades I don't appear to have the exact ones needed.  Rather than buy those colours I don't have I will just use the closest ones i've got.  I'm not convinced Vallejo's paints are that accurate anyway.

I'm pretty sure the original paints weren't that accurate, either! ;) ;D

Offline kerick

« Reply #2694 on: July 28, 2019, 05:09:52 pm »
I'm not sure why some folks get so wrapped up over paint colors. Different manufacturers at different times produced different shades of supposedly the same color. Given war time quality control, who knows what you might get. Add weathering and fading and colors might end up quite different. Kind of a useless exercise to me. As long as its reasonably close to what the builder intends its close enough for me. Of course, this could be why I prefer whif world these days.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2695 on: July 29, 2019, 01:24:34 am »
It's a JMN thing, isn't it?

Especially Luftwaffe JMNs, who can have entire conversations just mentioning numbers!  :o
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Online zenrat

« Reply #2696 on: July 29, 2019, 04:31:44 am »
There are pages and pages on the interweb just devoted to comparing and critiquing different hobby paint manufacturers takes on the same RLM paint shade.
I've started painting the 109.  It's an interesting scheme i've chosen.  The middle one on this pic.

It possibly has more different colours in it than any other camo scheme i've done (except the 7 shades of blue on the Sky Pirates flying boat).

Spitfire also got some paint on it today.

Privateer military paint is done.  It now needs civilianising.
Privateer Express WIP 29-07-2019 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I also painted two 1/25 car bodies today...
...and my left hand.

Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2697 on: July 29, 2019, 06:01:21 am »
There are pages and pages on the interweb just devoted to comparing and critiquing different hobby paint manufacturers takes on the same RLM paint shade.
I've started painting the 109.  It's an interesting scheme i've chosen.  The middle one on this pic.

I like that scheme mate, also has the advantage that it avoids mottle  :thumbsup: A lot of these late war Luftwaffe schemes are very interesting and open to interpretation which can be a great help if you haven't got the "right colours".

I'm not convinced Vallejo's paints are that accurate anyway.

You and me both.

I don't get obsessed about colours, and as I've said many times in the past we all see them differently (just ask for a woman's description of a colour if you don't believe me  :rolleyes: ) but if there were prescribed standards then it's nice if the manufacturers try to stick to them. Most of the allegedly same colours I have from different manufacturers do tend to be very alike, but the few Vallejo ones I have don't tend to match the others. Who's right, who's wrong ? Don't really care, but I'll stick with the consensus until proved wrong  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Online zenrat

« Reply #2698 on: July 30, 2019, 05:15:14 am »
I've been staring at that paint scheme for the last few days and i've only just noticed that they have given Humbrol paint numbers.
 :banghead:
Got more colours on today.  I now have one coat of every colour on except the black and the lighter colour on the wings. 

Spit also has one coat of each colour.
Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2699 on: July 30, 2019, 06:10:37 am »
I've been staring at that paint scheme for the last few days and i've only just noticed that they have given Humbrol paint numbers.
 :banghead:

And some are old numbers that are no longer in production, or are available as enamels but not acrylics. I just wonder if they are still generally available in the Czech Rep ? I need to ask them at SMW.

Still the one useful thing about Humbrol is that they are still fairly easy to cross reference to your favourite brand.
Decals my @r$e!