Author Topic: Zenrat's Flying Circus  (Read 159557 times)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Zenrat's Flying Circus
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2015, 12:47:55 am »
Just fiddling with small stuff today...
...and then I dropped the XFV-1 snapping off one tail and loosing the castor.
D'oh!
Tails glued back on and i've made a new castor.

That seems to be endemic with those tail-sitting VTOL birds. I've lost count of the number of tail castors I've had to replace on my RW XFY-1 and Whiffed Convair/Hawker Osprey. Good thing I have a ready supply of Kopro XFY-1 kits.  ;D
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2015, 01:16:15 am »
The flimsiness of the castors as made by Valom was one of the reasons I added retraction pods.  The other was because I could  ;D
My replacement won't break being constructed from 1mm diameter paperclip wire and a slice of plastic rod.

Ironically I dropped it because I was being carefull not to hold it too hard as the clear wasn't completely dry.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2015, 12:38:06 am »
Today I;
Got decals on the XFV-1 and started to paint the weapons load.
Built a single seater canopy for the TurboStuka and started to graft on a Swordfish Undercarriage.
Added some small finishing parts to the He-51 and put some paint on them and other bits.
Pondered, pulled boxes out of the cupboard, rummaged through them, ummmed and ahhhhhhed and put them back and then started a stock, out of the box build of a Finemolds 1/72 Savoia S21 Porco Rosso.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline ericr

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2015, 03:13:19 am »
Pondered, pulled boxes out of the cupboard, rummaged through them, ummmed and ahhhhhhed and put them back and then started a stock, out of the box build of a Finemolds 1/72 Savoia S21 Porco Rosso.

a nice one, indeed

Offline zenrat

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 01:35:35 am »

I still don't know what job this is going to do.  Current favourite is a mail plane for urgent parcel delivery to outlying destinations.
Fred

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2015, 04:56:30 am »
A mail plane would be a neat alternative to the usual military we see around here.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline kerick

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2015, 05:02:43 am »

I still don't know what job this is going to do.  Current favourite is a mail plane for urgent parcel delivery to outlying destinations.

The spats fell off!
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2015, 06:30:06 am »
Don't ask me why* but I think that looks like a French Naval dive bomber of the 30's if it didn't have a turboprop. So French Navy circa 1946 ?

* Probably because it's not exactly a looker and she's been designed by committee - perfect French 1930's style
Decals my @r$e!

Offline TallEng

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • Often found barking up the wrong tree
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2015, 07:49:06 am »
Funny you should say that ;D it reminds me of the F+W C-3605 (the Swiss Airforce Target Tug)
See here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%2BW_C-3605 for details (complete with turbo prop ;))

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Offline zenrat

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2015, 12:48:55 am »
No spats on this one.
I toyed with Heyford undercarriage but rejected it.
Fred

Offline Flyer

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:29 am »
Stuka looks cool, almost agricultural. :thumbsup: :cheers:

The size of the fins makes me think if you put it on a pole it would make a neat windmill/weathervane ;D
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline zenrat

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2015, 03:26:53 am »
Big vertical tails for added directional stability so the postie can fly hands off and sort mail between stops.

The Finemolds Savoia is going together suspiciously easilly.  It really is nicely made with almost no flash (teeny tiny amount on the engine struts) and no sink marks i've found so far.  Parts fit together beautifully with no gaps or "adjusting" needed.
I hope the Curtis goes together as easilly.
Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:43 am »
Most Fine Moulds kits I've built have gone together superbly  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2015, 02:20:14 am »
I really am not keen on vac formed canopies.

Other than developing that particular dislike, today I have done a spot of 1:1 construction knocking up an aluminium gravel pan to replace the plastic original on my car which is falling to pieces - one of the reasons for Satyrday's overheating issues.

Fred

Offline zenrat

« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:12 am »
Grrrrrrrrrrrr, vac form canopies...
XFV-1 is currently sitting with Krystal Klear drying in all the gaps round the outside prior to being touched up with paint.
On the plus side the pilot is looking very dashing in his jodhpurs, riding boots and PRU blue jumper.

He-51 is finished.  Last minute disaster was narrowly avoided.  Did you know ezi line rigging will sag when sprayed with clear?  Did you also know it shrinks back again when the clear dries?  I didn't.
Awaiting beauty pics.

TurboStuka is in primer and awaiting minimal PSR (minimal, but with a couple of nasty places to get to around the undercarriage).

I still haven't decided what aircraft to build next.  I want to build them all simultaneously.
Maybe something more subtle.  Did they ever hang a torpedo under a Hurricane?

Fred