Author Topic: Flyers Projects  (Read 59073 times)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Flyers Projects
« Reply #525 on: March 14, 2017, 04:55:02 am »
Hehehehe, I love it!  :wub:

It's a Tri-Stang-ski!  ;D
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Flyer

« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2017, 05:39:09 am »
 ;D :mellow:
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ericr

« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2017, 05:47:49 am »

yes ! multi-fuselage with different fuselages is brilliant !

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #528 on: March 14, 2017, 07:09:09 am »
What a great idea.
 :thumbsup:

Certainly looks good  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #529 on: March 14, 2017, 07:18:04 am »
Especially from the side ! Love the idea.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline Flyer

« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2017, 06:48:53 am »
Thanks all. :cheers:

I realized that the EDF and electric motors I purchased for it are mismatched, going by the image on the shop site I was under the impression that the fan housing was plastic painted silver, it's actually turned and machined metal of some sort so is MUCH heavier than anticipated (but it's also much more powerful than expected, so that evens it out) and a better match for the larger motors I already use so the aircraft will need to be much bigger too. I will now take my time and draw up a plan (actually drawing, pencil & paper style, never got into CAD aside from using MS Paint to get a basic outline) for a full built up structured "Yakkety-Yak-Yak" instead of a basic flat foam shape. Might take some time to draw the plans up though as I hate doing them, I like to make sure all aspects are covered (scoops, duct's, access panels etc...) and I will only be drawing small area's at a time when doing absolutely nothing else, might take years even. :-\

I had purchased 3 foam boards to make a start on the Tri-Yak last week and so now that I decided that will be a future project I have started on another plane that came to me while thinking about multi-fuselage aircraft, and IMHO it is one of my most plausible idea's I've had recently.

As there were rather small numbers of F-82's built a aircraft to be used for training and maintaining hours wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce attrition to F-82 airframes for such matters. Going with another North American product I thought of a Twin-Texan, if it kept both full cockpits it could have a pilot and radar or navigation students in one fuselage and the respective instructors in the other. So going with that I scaled up a drawing and cut out some templates, after cutting the templates and arranging them into a aeroplane shape I realized that I had done myself no favors by choosing a plane with a such short nose and then doubling it and getting it to balance will be no small challenge, so I made it a 2 seater by removing the rear canopy from both fuselages (only a small amount of foam really, but ANY weight removed from behind the CG counts!) and added a foam "radar pod" to the front of the centre section to represent a nightfighter trainer. Even though I have cut ailerons and flaps into the wings those will be fixed and it will only be 3 channel to start with (rudder's, elevator and throttle) with a large amount of dihedral as I also brought a navigation lighting set with the motors and I want a stable easy to fly model to try them out on, what better aircraft than a nightfighter trainer?

I won't be taking a pic till it's finished, right now it is just T-6 shaped panels. :thumbsup:

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »
The P-51 fuselage was lengthened for the F-82, so would it make sense to do the same for the Twin-Texan?
A constant-section plug behind the wing trailing edge would be easiest.

Just a thought. 

Offline Flyer

« Reply #532 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:33 am »
The P-51 fuselage was lengthened for the F-82, so would it make sense to do the same for the Twin-Texan?

Just a thought. 

True, but aesthetically a lengthened Texan to me would look simply wrong and as I said in the last post for a R/C model the T-6 already has a very short nose, unless the rear end is built very light almost all other equipment apart from the powerplant like servo's, batteries & ESC's etc... would all need to be inside the engine cowling area. :-\

I personally don't know why the F-82 had the fuselages lengthened, if it was for weight or stability reasons I'd prefer to increase the horizontal stabilizer area instead.

Anyhoo, centre section, tailplane and fuselage panels are all assembled into a whole now, adding electrics and such tonight and outer wing panels joined on tomorrow if all go's as planned. :thumbsup:

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #533 on: March 21, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »

Just a thought. 

True, but aesthetically a lengthened Texan to me would look simply wrong and as I said in the last post for a R/C model the T-6 already has a very short nose, unless the rear end is built very light almost all other equipment apart from the powerplant like servo's, batteries & ESC's etc... would all need to be inside the engine cowling area. :-\

I personally don't know why the F-82 had the fuselages lengthened, if it was for weight or stability reasons I'd prefer to increase the horizontal stabilizer area instead.

Anyhoo, centre section, tailplane and fuselage panels are all assembled into a whole now, adding electrics and such tonight and outer wing panels joined on tomorrow if all go's as planned. :thumbsup:

Fair comment.
What about a plug in front of the wing instead, or as well as? Would give a bit more room, a place to add more weight, and while still retaining the familial resemblance would be just 'off' enough to get them scratching their heads... if the Zwilling design wasn't doing that already!

Though probably moot, if you're at that stage in the build...

Offline Flyer

« Reply #534 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:09 am »
Not moot exactly as it is only a flat foam board cut-out shape it can be altered to my liking in outline as long as it balances properly at the end. All suggestions are always encouraged. :thumbsup:

I was pondering the lengthening while putting some more pieces on it today and I agree now that it would be made a little longer as it would probably have bigger engines not being a basic trainer after all, the fuselages would probably be further apart with a bigger tailplane than I have on this basic version too, but I'm running out of materials to change anything with and I like the way it's shaping up. Not much more to do before it's done. :thumbsup:

Offline Flyer

« Reply #535 on: March 25, 2017, 02:10:39 am »
Just need to tuck away some wies then it's ready for flight, maybe some decoration afterward if it works well. :thumbsup:

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #536 on: March 25, 2017, 05:23:13 am »
Cor, look at that! It even has a radar pod too! Does that make it a T-6G?  ;D

Or maybe a T-12G...........   ;)
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #537 on: March 25, 2017, 05:34:02 pm »
Damn, that's cool!!  Get that bad boy in the sky!

Having been reading through here I've developed a bit of an interest in possibly getting into this type of thing myself and have noticed lots of neat "lot" deals on the ol' Ebay with parts and stuff.. I almost pulled the trigger a couple times. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Flyer

« Reply #538 on: March 29, 2017, 06:14:01 am »
 :thumbsup: :cheers:

Weather has gone horrible so I've gone decoration over flight prep in the hopes that it fly's well, started canopy panels in black and cowl's orange and I'm just going to make it up as I go and keep it very simple. :mellow:

Offline Flyer

« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2017, 08:31:23 am »
 :banghead: Bang smack in the middle of one of life's SNAFU moments again. :banghead:

Very hit and miss as to when I'll be on here, and as for modelling that's already ground to a halt, and gone backwards in some aspects. :banghead: :banghead: