Author Topic: Nick's Notes  (Read 18006 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Nick's Notes
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2020, 01:34:05 am »

My mum has for years collected the PG Tips cards. 

They are the ones I remember and most of the sets in the early 60's were to do with wildlife - British birds, African mammals and British Wildflowers are the ones I can remember collecting. There was a stall in Brixton Indoor Market that used to sell the complete albums and I bought a couple of the more interesting ones there. Dad still had some Players sets from the 30's, but the footballers didn't mean a thing to me in the 50's. Strangely the cricketers did because a fair few were still playing.

I don't remember either of those Jim, but then we were a P.G. household  ;D
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2020, 11:44:04 am »
I've been getting over a bad cold the last week and am still bunged up in the head. Can't stop coughing when my throat tickles.
Going through the stash reveals I bought a lot of kits last year!

I'm looking forward to the next group build as I have quite a few options available to me. Of the top of my head:

F-14 Tomcat - possibly too much done already but I will send a pic to the mods when I find it again.
T-45 Goshawk - Royal Navy trainer or Royal Marines ground attack. Italeri 1/72 that looks the same as a Mk.100 Hawk.
Space Shuttle - US Navy to stop the USAF!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2020, 12:22:27 pm »

The US Navy did fly (sometimes....) their Vanguard satellite launcher in competition with the US Army's Redstone rocket, so there's a precedent.  :thumbsup:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2020, 01:59:27 am »

The US Navy did fly (sometimes....) their Vanguard satellite launcher in competition with the US Army's Redstone rocket, so there's a precedent.  :thumbsup:

Hmmm, grey over white with folding wings and a hook.  Sundowners or Jolly Rogers fin.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2020, 04:08:36 am »

Hmmm, grey over white with folding wings and a hook.  Sundowners or Jolly Rogers fin.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I like the idea of the hook, I bet the crew would have too, having watched some of the 'heart in mouth' landings they had with it!
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2020, 08:42:06 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I like the idea of the hook, I bet the crew would have too, having watched some of the 'heart in mouth' landings they had with it!

The hook is a GOOD IDEA!!.......and Kit no doubt would have (at a price) a billet of Unobtainium for them from which to forge it.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #186 on: February 29, 2020, 04:15:34 am »
So it seems a USN Shuttle with a sodding great hook on the tail is demanded. We shall see.
I like the idea of having one coming in to land as it catches the wire, balanced with the nose in the air, but it's a bit much for my skills.

Other options from the stash:

Royal Navy F-18
French Navy F-18

Hot Shots Gnat (or the Oscar EW-5894!) comes complete with The Navy decals.

Gotha P.60 flying wing from AZ Models. Pretty sure it has decals for a US Navy captured markings version. Complete Whiff!

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2020, 10:20:12 am »
As mentioned in the 2020 Stash thread I got the Dream Models Z-19 Black Whirlwind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_Z-19
I get the impression this is the lighter Comanche/Gazelle scout to go with their Apache, the WZ-10. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAIC_Z-10

Looking in the box it's a nice crisp mould of what is essentially a rebuilt modified Dauphin with a narrower 2 crew cockpit and stub wings for Anti-Tank Missiles, 57MM Rokect and 70MM Rokect. Yup, Chinglish strikes hard!
Found a tiny square of etch for the rotor in with the decals.

Markings are provided for the basic flat black in-service scheme (with or without the mast radar) or the slightly more fancy PLA Army Aviation* Thunder Aerobatic Team. They clearly had some trouble with printing decals as there's the main sheet (10cm x 5cm), a thumb size sheet for two panels over the wing stubs and a thumbnail size scrap with miniscule dots for the nose lights.

Instructions are on two glossy colour A4 sheets. One for the paint scheme, the other for the build. It's very clear with English notes, numbers for the parts, PE for the metal parts and boxed numbers for Mr Hobby paints. I didn't know that Chinese helicopter seats were bright blue!
It calls for Flat Black overall but photos online make it look more medium-dark grey or green.

There are a few errors in the instructions mainly regarding the etch but a bit of thought should get through that.

*Yup, People's Liberation Army Army. Chinglish!  :rolleyes:

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2020, 11:18:36 am »
Those kits look really good, i'm thinking of buying the Z-19, the AS-565 Panther and the new AH-1Z Viper. I hope they keep coming out with more 1/72 models of recent but also older choppers like the UH-1, Bell 206 or OH-58A and even the Gazelle. New molds of those would be very much appreciated.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"