Author Topic: Flyers Projects  (Read 58864 times)

Offline Flyer

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Flyers Projects
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:01:43 am »
Here is a a pic of my Heller 1/72 P-39Q that I'm doing as a 1/48 Electric powered homebuilt. I'm waiting on some parts from some kits in the mail before I do any more to it. Behind it is a taped together Matchbox Buffalo with slightly shortened PM VB Spitfire wings.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:56:00 am by Flyer »
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Tophe

• my what-if models
Re: Flyers Projects
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:48:26 am »
Lovely! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Offline major

• Makes own decals
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:32 pm »
WOW!!!! Loving the P-39, and the spit wings on the buffalo, look kinda, strangely, right! :thumbsup:

Offline Flyer

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:26:44 pm »
Thank you Tophe!

WOW!!!! Loving the P-39, and the spit wings on the buffalo, look kinda, strangely, right! :thumbsup:

Thank you. Yes I think they suit the Buffalo. Spiffalo? Buffire?

It has a bit of a Seversky look to it I think. The pics don't really show it but at certain angles when I'm holding it and squint it almost looks like a stubby P-47.

Here is a pic on it's own:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:52:51 am by Flyer »

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 07:11:10 pm »
Nice....very sleek looking !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 11:32:57 pm »
Both look cool, the P-39 looks fast...  :thumbsup:

Wonder where the Buffalo's landing gear goes? Did you modify the Spitfire's wings and close/move the wells?  :unsure:

Offline Flyer

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:45:38 am »
The Spitfire wings are from a basic PM VB, they have no wells at all, just a small hole for the landing gear. I wanted to use the Buffalo landing gear in the extended position but I broke a piece when cutting it from the sprue, so I will do it wheels up and put it on a stand. Makes life easier that way too as I only need to scribe an outline on the bottom of the wing, if it were wheels down I'd need to hollow out some areas.

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:44:37 am »
Buttfire?

They both look good Brad. 
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Flyer

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 10:00:59 am »
Links replaced with pics.

Here is 2 more of the Airacobra.

I have done nothing to it even though I have received the donor kit I was waiting on because the spats I was planning to use from that kit suit something else I have dry assembled ;D so it still looks the same as in those pics that were taken at least 4-5 weeks ago :rolleyes: I will finish it...one day.

The problem with the Airacobra build is that I have been sidetracked by 3 other models that will be using parts from kits that I already have including a Vultee Vengeance, a Ju87, a Grumman Panther and 2 x VB Spitfires. I still need 1 or 2 more kits for parts but I have enough to make a start. I have been doing a lot of drawing and dry fitting but no glue has been added to anything yet.

As for the Buffalo it probably won't keep the Spitfire wings, I only have 2 Buffalo kits and already have plans for both. Although I do like the look.

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Offline Flyer

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 08:25:24 am »
I have been doing a lot of thinking and the 'Gruffalo' ;) may get built after all. I have also been gathering parts for a floatplane and a flying boat that I will take pics of after glue gets applied.

That aside I have been doing some drawings on MS Paint. Mostly of the P-39 and here they are:

This is a very basic and not really accurate line drawing of how my P-39 is set out now. I do like it but it still looks too much like a P-39, so I have done five basic line drawings of potential ideas to change it further.

1. I simply clipped the wings and tail surfaces, slightly tapered the trailing edge of the elevators and changed the rudder hinge line.

2. I changed the wing shape (would need to be scratched from styrene sheet or maybe balsa wood) and added a T-tail.

3. Basically the same as 2 but the spinner has been blended into a solid nose and I have added two podded micro turbines (to be made from the middle section of a suitable size bomb).

4. Similar to 3 but the nose has been inverted from in front of the canopy, the wing has been moved back a little and changed outline and tip tanks added.

5. Inspired by Dizzyfugu's Bell P-76A 'Airaconda', a micro turbine powered canard.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 08:31:50 pm »
Cool.  MS Paint can be a pig to get good curves with.  Good work.
No.4 looks best.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Flyer

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:10 pm »
Cool.  MS Paint can be a pig to get good curves with.  Good work.
No.4 looks best.

Indeed it is a pig. We have two laptops, the Acer that I'm using now is useless, will operate almost nothing, if it didn't work on the net it would be on the rubbish dump right now. The other laptop is a ancient Highlander that I use for games. MS Paint is the most spiffy drawing program they both will run. When SWMBO is on the net (almost always) I draw with Paint (or play games) on the Highlander and transfer the images when I can. All will be good when we finally get our own house/flat/unit and I can bring our PC out of storage and find a good program.

MS Paint has served me well in the past with R/C models, as none of my own builds have been scale models (all my scale R/C's are either ARF or kits), just sport's, I do a basic outline of what I want on Paint, transfer that onto graph paper and draw the full size plan by hand, adding details as I go (such as Angle Of Attack, washout, curves etc...). Now that I'm shifting focus to scale static models I need a better program.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 02:17:33 am »
Way back in the dim mists of antiquity (we are talking Windows 3.1 days) I used to draw motorbikes and scooters in Paint when I was supposed to be working.  It is basic but can do good things when you get the hang of it.  Which you obviously have.
It's saving grace IMO was the ability to adjust individual pixels.
Fred

Offline perttime

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 04:08:06 am »
Paint and Paint.net are good for manipulating individual pixels.
With Paint.net, you can also do something with individual objects, if you put them in separate layers. For many things, I like Inkscape because it works in vector format where you manipulate, lines, objects, fills, etc - instead of pixels.