Blackburn (BAE) Buccaneer

Started by Radish, July 31, 2002, 01:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

For pics of the bomb load on Buccs you could try from here.

http://nuclear-weapons.info/vw.htm
:thumbsup:

Jeffry Fontaine

QuoteWith the help of Brian Burnell - a researcher into the history of the British nuclear weapons programme who once designed bomb casings for atom bombs
Welcome aboard Brian.  I thought that name was familiar :)

Your own web page is interesting, looking forward to seeing all of the blank spaces filled in with information on the UK nuclear weapons. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Mossie

The safety of the nation entrsuted to a bicycle lock, I love it!  :lol: :lol: :lol:  It's worked though, hasn't it??? :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TsrJoe

Brilliant images Brian, love your site too, a mine of useful modelling reference material on UK. nukes (the colour profiles are especially useful)

some others of possible interest ...

http://groups.msn.com/TSR-2ResearchGroup/bactsr2weaponsampsystems.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/TSR-2ResearchGroup/specialweaponsimagefile.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1610

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Brian

Don't be suckered by journo's b******t Jeffry, that quote was theirs not mine. Just the usual hyperbole.

Funny thing tho' - when we'd finished filming at Kemble we clambered aboard a BBC staff car (yep, a staff car) for the journey north to Cosford for more filming. Just as the car left I put a hand in my trouser pocket and realised I still had the keys to Kemble's nuclear bomb in my trouser pocket. The producer went into shock.

Glad you liked the site. Much more on the way, in no particular order. Meanwhile I'll be happy to answer specific queries if I can via the site's email link.

Brian

Some more WE.177 pics now up at http://nuclear-weapons.info in the WE.177 gallery.

SPINNERS

http://groups.msn.com/TSR-2ResearchGroup/bactsr2weaponsampsystems.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1136

Are those cutaway bomb doors on that Buccaneer S.1 and did the aircraft in service have this feature?

kitnut617

Quote from: Brian on June 05, 2008, 05:29:46 AM
Some more WE.177 pics now up at http://nuclear-weapons.info in the WE.177 gallery.

Crap!  I wouldn't want to be anyone on a helicopter when they dropped one of those  :o :o
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian

QuoteAre those cutaway bomb doors on that Buccaneer S.1 and did the aircraft in service have this feature?

What you see is the rotary bomb door rotated 180o to release the weapon. Soon after it would rotate closed. The internal face of the door was formed to the bomb shapes so that the bomb nested snugly and immediately before release it the top half of the bomb appeared to be recessed into the fuselage. So there appears to be a huge gap with bomb gone. The Bucc was unique in that it was configured to carry two WE.177 bombs of either the Type A or B or C. The Vulcan carried only one WE.177B bomb. Something to do with bomb door clearances I'm told. More likely money, and reluctance to cough up.

The Wessex helio and the Lynx and Sea King were able to exit the area and withstand the overpressure when the weapon detonated. The Wasp was problematical. To lift the weapon it had to be slung diagonally underneath with the doors and second crewmember removed to save weight. Its ability to withstand the overpressure was decidedly marginal.

Zen

The helicopter bombs where to my knowledge nuclear depth charges.

Of course the Wasp had a tendency to rise suddenly once the weapon was dropped!
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

Brian

QuoteAre those cutaway bomb doors on that Buccaneer S.1 and did the aircraft in service have this feature?

Try this for a WE.177 schematic in a Buccaneer bomb bay. Works best with Mozilla Firefox browser altho' Internet Explorer 6 or 7 is OK.
http://nuclear-weapons.info/images/we177-buccaneerS2.ppt

retro_seventies

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Jeffry Fontaine

In the Airfix 1/48th scale Buccaneer double boxed kit there are two sizes of slipper tank.  Would it have been possible to fit the Buccaneer with both sets of tanks?  One combination could be the large tank inboard with the smaller tank outboard.  Another option is to put the larger tank outboard and the smaller tank inboard.  Fitted as such with all of that extra fuel I imagine the range would have been interesting.  With the takeoff weight as an issue, perhaps launch with empty tanks and fill up from a tanker as an option.   

Further off site discussion indicates that this idea is without a doubt a WHIF but it sure does solve a problem with what to do with the extra slipper tanks.  Another suggestion has been to scale-o-rama the tanks with a 1/72nd scale Avro Vulcan which also sounds attractive but that is another topic. 

Anyway the idea was to put the large and normal slipper tanks on the Buccaneer wing and call it a strategic configuration since it would be carrying enough fuel for an almost around the world cruise.  That way the bomb bay can be reserved for weapons :)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PR19_Kit

Does anyone have a photo, or a link to one, of the open bomb-bay door on a Bucc please?

I've tried Google Images and Airliners.net with no success (there are 563 photos on airliners!) and the only even vague showing is one of the recce pack, and that's not really 'open' as such.  >:(

In the 70s the FAA Buccs used to fly over display airfields low and fast with the door rotated open and 'Fly Navy' painted on the inside. I'd have thought there was at least ONE photo of this, but it seems not.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit