MiG 37 "Flathead" Ilmavoimat

Started by Ed S, February 01, 2014, 08:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Superlative work. That is utterly gorgeous.

However I do have to raise one little point, it can not be a Mig-37 as the Mig-37 is the "Ferret". I know because I have the Italeri kit in my stash.  :rolleyes:

Seriously though, fantastic.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

I don't think NATO gave the Mig 1.44 a designated Mig number, the called it the ' Flatpack'. Unless you are confusing it with the Su-47 forward swept wing demonstrator also known as the Su-37.

Weaver

Now I thought about a lace-painting technique, but then I didn't see how that particular pattern could be made with it. I guess there may be some kind of random "scrim-net" stuff that I don't know about though...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Ed S

Thanks for the comments.

As to how I did the paint job. The basics are a coat of neutral gray on the bottom and a coat of dark ghost gray on the top. It turns out there isn't really much difference between the colors.

To achieve the camo, I used an airbrushing template from Artool. These are laser cut templates in different varieties. I saw these on the clearance rack at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago and thought I might find a use for them. I got the small and large set. This model was done with one of the small templates. They are made of some sort of solvent resistant polymer.

Here is the small set. You can see that I have removed one of the templates from the sheet. This is the one I used on this model.

Here is a close up of the template I used on the Mig.

This picture shows both the large and small templates.

I'm not completely happy with the results. The templates didn't fit in the corners very well as Dizzyfugu pointed out. Next time, I think I will trim the edge of one of the templates or maybe cut a small section from it with a straight edge to put down in the corners.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

JayBee

Quote from: McColm on August 01, 2014, 01:32:08 PM
I don't think NATO gave the Mig 1.44 a designated Mig number, the called it the ' Flatpack'. Unless you are confusing it with the Su-47 forward swept wing demonstrator also known as the Su-37.

No I am not confused (at least not as much as some of us in this forum about "reality"). I am thinking of the Mig-37B Ferret E, which being a contemporary of the F-117,  makes it in the time line well before the Mig 1.44.

Italeri also did this model in 1/48 scale.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!