Author Topic: Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on  (Read 288366 times)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on
« Reply #2955 on: November 17, 2020, 04:03:08 am »

British Rail was once described to me as being a raft of paper afloat on a sea of tea.

Very true.

When the Advanced Projects Division effectively closed down in mid-1976 all the paperwork was sent to the Tech Centre registry for microfilming and eventual destruction. The late Mrs._PR19 was in charge of the registry at the time and decided, off her own bat, that the drawings and paperwork should go to the York Museum where the APT-E train went. She filled TEN boxes with the stuff, each one about a 4-5 ft cube!

They had to be loaded onto the truck with a fork lift!  :o
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #2956 on: November 17, 2020, 05:48:49 am »
As a historian who hates to hear of any documents being discarded/destroyed, all I can say is Hurrah for Mrs PR_19.  Rail researchers in years to come will be delighted with her actions.  If all ten boxes were carefully packed, that's up to two tons per box (I've worked for a book wholesaler and I know only too well what paper in bulk weighs)  A total of up to 20 tons of material for historians and engineers in the future.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:54:11 am by Rheged »
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2957 on: November 17, 2020, 06:12:32 am »
Bizarrely, until the APT-E Support Group was formed in 2000, no-one at the NRM had even looked at the ten boxes, they just filed them away in their VAST archive Dept!

When we were de-skinning one Power Car in 2003 I suggested that we looked up the rivet sizes on the drawings, and the NRM guys said 'What drawings?'  :banghead:

I was pleased to point them in the right direction and they were suitably BOGGLED at the amount stuff they had, but didn't really know about.  ;D
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2958 on: November 17, 2020, 06:19:30 am »
Fingers crossed for 2021, then, Chris.

Very much so Dave, thanks.

British Rail was once described to me as being a raft of paper afloat on a sea of tea.

My dad would recognise that statement, mind you I doubt if you'd have seen the paper or tea mug on his desk through the cloud of cigarette smoke. How times change  :rolleyes:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2959 on: November 18, 2020, 06:01:35 am »
I was a good boy today. Made some good progress against today's plan and was sorely tempted to press on, but didn't :thumbsup: Hopefully I've learnt my lesson this time.

Started on the Christmas cards instead  :angel: :angel:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2960 on: November 21, 2020, 05:35:15 am »
Some slow gentle progress and then stopped as I was getting clumsy and I could see the tin of French interior blue I was using going flying, and being enamel it would of made rather a mess  :rolleyes: .

I managed to get the Raiden canopy masked though. I'd parked this for a while as the frames were very fine/indistinct depending on your point of view, so I ordered a set of masks from Dead Design. First of their products I've used and apart from an obvious miss-numbering on the instructions they are on a par with the Eduard and Peewit sets I've used before. Like Eduard they included wheel masks, which I never seem to use and that's why I like Peewit as they don't and are thus cheaper. Still it's nice to have another string to the bow and they seem to do a lot of Japanese types  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!