Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

.... and a pilot in two halves, right and left, who's an integral part of the fuselage and absolutely NO sign of a cockpit interior whatsoever!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2014, 01:52:49 AM
.... and a pilot in two halves, right and left, who's an integral part of the fuselage and absolutely NO sign of a cockpit interior whatsoever!  :banghead:

Fortunately that doesn't apply here although I have seen it on a Novo Sea Hawk. This kit is 1/200 scale but bloody big. And it's a Whiff straight out of the box!
It's going to take a lot of space at Telford... I'm going to need a bigger transport box!

Cracked the fuselage open and put the gear in. The seam looks ugly but a lot of sanding will cure that. Need to find my Appliance White spraycans....

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 21, 2014, 06:07:33 PM
B-47 ?

:cheers:

Right plane company, but just a little bigger and a lot faster...   :wacko:

PR19_Kit

That'll be a 2707 SST then.   ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 22, 2014, 05:56:01 AM
That'll be a 2707 SST then.   ;D

That's right! And there's two in the box with a stand!  :thumbsup:
18 inches each of pure plastic aircraft whiffery  ;D

Like I say, straight out of the box with Pan-Am markings. If I had another kit I'd do a British Airways or Air France livery but the decals are £10 a set.
I bought this 50th anniversary repop for £10.99, today on Ebay it goes for £30+.

PR19_Kit

I've got the kit AND the BA decals.  ;)

But one of them will be Whiffed I think, maybe BOAC even.

The original kits were moulded in YELLOW for goodness sake!  :o

Regards
Kit

Nick

The plane parts are white plastic, the stand is dark blue. The swept wing version goes together very well, no real step between the upper and lower parts. You do need clamps around all the edges and a fair bit of sanding on the tail planes.

The unswept landing version has a terrible fit between top and bottom, at least a 1mm step each side. Lots of sanding and putty needed. Remember to put the front gear in first! Again, plenty of sanding around the edges.

Be careful when cutting out the holes for the stand. If they're too big it'll never sit right and the plane keeps falling off. If I wasn't taking this to shows I'd fix the stand to the lower fuselage permanently and build the kit around that.

zenrat

Found these through goggle - something for the Captain maybe?

Also JAL and Northwest are out there.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Yes, Greg DrawDecal does some good spoof decals for the 2707, and the decals themselves are high quality as well.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 22, 2014, 08:16:59 AM
I've got the kit AND the BA decals.  ;)

But one of them will be Whiffed I think, maybe BOAC even.

The original kits were moulded in YELLOW for goodness sake!  :o

BCal markings perhaps on that one....  :wacko:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Captain Canada

Nice find ! Those would look good on a Concorde eh ? Love the reg !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 24, 2014, 06:49:11 AM
Nice find ! Those would look good on a Concorde eh ? Love the reg !

Based on the real Air Canada Concorde scheme. They had four on order till it all went stale. Filched from this site, well worth a look for Concorde fans.

http://www.concordesst.com/home.html

Regards
Kit

Nick

The build goes well and has just had the final coat of primer. Tomorrow I'll finish the paint and apply the few decals there are. I doubt I'll be doing the scheme exactly as on the box but silver and white are the order of the day.

I made good use of Perfect Plastic Putty to fill in all the gaps and then sanded it down nicely. Despite careful clamping gaps appeared in the leading edges so I had to putty it. The undercarriage is slotted so you can be sure that each of the 4 landing gears goes in the right space.

Nick

I really should get round to putting up pics of the finished SST for those who didn't see it at Telford.... one day!

For now, a list of ideas I might get done over the next year.  :rolleyes: ;)

Revell SSTs in schemes for British Airways and another, possibly TWA.

AMX in RAF service, grey and green. Replacing Tornado in strike role to allow the Typhoon to concentrate on air-to-air.

BAe Hawks for the Irish Air Corps. Twin seater for the Silver Swallows, single seat for a camo strike fighter. Both are Matchbox kits.

Opel Blitz Bus in National Express or Eastern Counties colours. Might consider a Lufthansa or Interflug airport coach  ;)

More to follow.....