Sukhoi Su-19M ('Flagon H'); Ukrainian Air Force; Saky Air Base, August 1993

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 22, 2013, 01:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Sukhoi Su-19M (NATO code 'Flagon H'); aircraft '07 Yellow', unknown unit, Ukrainian Air Force; Saky Air Base, August 1993 (What-if/PM Model conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
In the early 1960s in the Soviet Union, fighter aircraft were developed as part of an interception system to destroy incoming bombers. The interception system consisted of a network of ground radars, ground controlled intercept (GCI) system, medium range air-to-air missiles, and an airborne launch platform for the missiles equipped with powerful radar.

The Su-15 was a development of Sukhoi's tailed-delta Su-9 and Su-11 interceptor fighters. In second quarter of 1960 Sukhoi proposed the Su-15-40 interception system, consisting of the Su-15 aircraft, Vikhr-P radar (a reduced version of the Smerch radar of the Tu-128) and K-40 (AA-6 'Acrid') missiles. Compared to the Su-11-8M complex, the new system offered better range, maximum launch distance and could launch from any direction including head-on. Construction of five Su-15 (designated T-58) prototypes began in mid-1960, state acceptance tests of the T-58-8M1 interception complex started in August 1963.

1:72 Sukhoi Su-19M (NATO code 'Flagon H'); aircraft '07 Yellow', unknown unit, Ukrainian Air Force; Saky Air Base, August 1993 (What-if/PM Model conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

In 1966 series production at Novosibirsk began, the first pre-series Su-15 interceptor made its first flight from Novosibirsk on 6 March 1966. Once identified as a new service aircraft, NATO christened the type 'Flagon'. While the Su-15 was in series production, a number of improved design features were developed, tested and subsequently introduced with new production series of the interceptor.

In 1972/73 the Sukhoi OKB proposed an in-depth upgrade of the Su-15, striving to enhance the interceptor's performance by radically improving the aerodynamics. Since the OKB placed high hopes on the ogival wings developed for the T-10 'Flanker A' fighter (the precursor of the Su-27), and the intention was to use such wings on the Su-15 as well. The re-winged aircraft bore the in-house designation T-58PS, the suffix probably stood for 'peremennaya strelovidnost' - 'variable sweep', even though in this case it wouldn ot imply a variable geometry wing, but rather denoted the spanwise variation of leading edge sweep.

Initially, a series of wind tunnel tests were held at TsAGI, followed by more detailed research into various layouts utilising various ogival wing designs. The wing shape that was finally chosen had a similar span to the Su-15TM's double delta wing, but the wing area was much bigger (more than +20%) and the leading edges extended forward, up to the air intakes. Another obvious detail were the slightly drooped wing tips.

Estimates showed that the interceptor's performance and agility would be enhanced dramatically, so that the heavy fighter could actually engage in an aerial dogfight with short range missiles like the R-60 or the even more deadly R-73 AAM, as well as with its newly integrated, internal 30mm cannon. Furthermore, the new wings would provide more internal space, for a bigger internal fuel capacity, better lift and space for two additional missile hardpoints (for a total of eight).

The T-58PS was officially proposed to the Soviet Air Force in October 1973, and a go-ahead was given for two prototypes. The Soviet Air Force favored the Su-15, and this update was very welcome to bridge the gap until the Su-27 would be ready in service. While the modified aircraft outwardly looked like a typical Su-15 with new wings and a new canopy with a wraparound windshield, the internal changes were so fundamental that the type received a new designation, Su-19.

In the meantime, more studies were made in order to improve the Su-19's performance. The next step was the installment of better engines - in this case, advanced Tumanskiy R67-300 engines were to replace the Su-15's standard R13-300 jets (which were originally developed for the MiG-21). The engines offered not only more power, but also a better fuel economy - and they were even smaller than the R13, what offered even more internal space for fuel and other equipment.

Overall, this enhanced concept (now called Su-19M) looked very promising, and OKB Sukhoi prepared a respective proposal, sending it to MAP and the Air Force in mid 1973, which was accepted and a third and fourth prototype built accordingly. This re-engined variant joined the flight tests in early 1974. The initial two Su-19 prototypes were soon brought to Su-19M status, and further test went on smoothly.

In parallel, radar and missile development als went further. In 1975 the decision was made to integrate a more powerful radar, too. The new 'Poorga' (Driving Snow) fire control radar to give the type the required look-down/shoot-down capability the PVO command had been calling for for years, and it also allowed the use of weapons with a bigger range - namely the R-27 missile (AA-10 Alamo), which replaced the outdated R-98 (AA-3 Anab). Both semi-active radar and IR seekerheads could be used. When the extended range versions of the modular R-27 became available, the potential kill range reached 80km (50 miles) - four times of what the Su-15TM was capable of!

System integration and teething troubles with the Poorga radar delayed service introduction until early 1978, though, when state acceptance trials were finally finished and the Su-19M cleared for service, since the long-awaited Su-27 was also still behind schedule.

The Su-19M officially entered service with the IA-PVO in early 1979, but only a relatively small number of the type was built - about 170 joined the Soviet Air Force and served exclusively in the interceptor role. They replaced older Su-15TM fighters, as well as the last Tu-128 heavy interceptors and Yak-28P. NATO assumed that it was just another Su-15 variant, so the aircraft received the code name 'Flagon H'.

When the Soviet Union fell apart, a small number of Su-19M, together with Su-15TM und Su-15UM trainers, was taken over by the Ukraine, where the type was kept in service until 1996. The Russian Air Force was quicker to start phasing out its Su-19M and Su-15TM, once the Su-27 became available, even though both types served until 1993 in second line duties.

General characteristics
Crew: 1
Length: 19.56 m (64 ft 2 in)
Wingspan: 10.19 m (33 ft 4 in)
Height: 4.84 m (15 ft 10 in)
Wing area: 44.5 m² (478.4 ft²)
Empty weight: 10,635 kg (23.445 lb)
Loaded weight: 17.200 kg (37.920 lb)

Powerplant:
2× Tumansky R67-300 turbojets, each rated at 43.5 kN (9.780 lbf) dry and at 73.5 kN (16.525 lbf) with afterburner

Performance:
Maximum speed: 1.300 km/h (807 mph) at sea level, 2.400 km/h (1.490 mph) at height in clean configuration
Range: 1.500 km (931 mi) combat
Ferry range: 1.900 km (1.180 mi)
Endruance: 2 hrs
Take-off run: 1.000 m (3.280 ft)
Service ceiling: 19.500 m (69.350 ft)
Climb time: 11.5 min to 16.000m (54.790 ft)
Rate of climb: 228 m/s (45.000 ft/min)

Armament:
1x GSh-30 30mm cannon in an underfuselage fairing with 120RPG
A total of eight hardpoints (two under the fuselage, six under the wings);
The underfuselage points are typically empty, or carry a PTB-760 drop tank; optionally, 2× UPK-23-250 23 mm gun pods can be carried

A typical interception weapon load is:

• 2× R-27ER (AA-10 "Alamo C"), radar homing AAM
  • 2× R-27ET (AA-10 "Alamo D"), IR homing AAM
  • 2× R-60 (AA-8 "Aphid") or R-73 (AA-11 "Archer") on the outer pylons

The kit and its assembly:
This whif actually has a real background, as outlined above - OKB Sukhoi worked in the late 60ies on several Su-15 derivates, including improved interceptors and even a specialized attack aircraft. The Su-19 was a real project, but it never left the drawing board.

Anyway, since I had a Su-15 fuselage left over, the Su-19 was a potential use for it - even though finding suitable wings proved to be more daring than expected (while I only had a top view sketch of the Su-19 as benchmark). Tough job, and I was not able to turn up with something that would match in shape and size until I finally found a Concorde(!) wing in 1:200, from Revell. It is not perfect, but an acceptable second-best option.

These wings had to be modified, though - I wanted to extend the wings forward, so that the LERX would almost reach the air intakes. But the Concorde wings had to be shortened and its leading edge shape modified to make the parts fit onto the Su-15 fuselage, which was taken OOB.

While working on the wing parts I was also happy to find that I could use much of the PM Model's lower wing piece, which also contains the main landing gear wells. This made landing gear installation much easier, even though still much of the wings ' undersides had to be sculpted with putty. I also had to re-shape the complete leading edge, and had to insert plugs where the Concorde's engine nacelles had been. Lots of work for just two donation parts... But once it was painted, thing started to look better than expected, even though I did not truly hit the "real" Su-19's wing shape.

The cockpit had to be enhanced, too, since the original kit only offers a stubby seat, and the original canopy had also already been used elsewhere. So, a dashboard, a new ejection seat as well as a Matchbox pilot were added, and a new canopy from an F-16 singe seater was used - it fits almost perfectly and gives the Su-19 a more modern look.

The landing gear was taken OOB. It's somewhat simple, but the covers hide much of it, and the wheels are acceptable. The jet nozzles were opened and some interior added, so that the back side would not end in a blunt butt.

Under the fuselage a cannon fairing was added - it actually comes from a Hawker Hawk trainer, but was shortened and lowered, for a more streamlined look. I could not find specifications on the real Su-19's cannon - it probably carried a GSh-23-2 23mm cannon, but I went for the more modern and powerful GSh-30 which would also be fitted to the Su-27. Two underfuselage hardpoints were added next to it, carrying two drop tanks (from a Kangnam Yak-38).

The missile armament as well as the respective launch racks comes from a Soviet AAM set from ICM. I went for four R-27 AAMs (two with radar and two with IR seeker heads, as well as extended range bodies), plus a pair of R-73 short range AAMs under the outer wing root pylons. Together with the ogival wings this creates a really odd look, and a menacing air-to-air ordnance!

Painting and markings:
AFAIK, Su-15 were either kept in NMF or wore a tactical camouflage during their Soviet service career. Sometimes you come across drawings of late Su-15TM in a grey two-tone paint scheme, but I have - until now - not found a photograph or hard evidence of such an aircraft.
Anyway, since I did not want to make a Soviet/Russian aircraft from the Su-19, I went for this whiffy option and made it an Ukranian Air Force 'bounty' from the era directly after 1992, when the UAF was founded.

The paint schemes is based on MiG-29 patterns, also used by the UAF, and I used simple Humbrol 129 and 31 (Gull Grey, FS 36440 and Slate Grey) as basic tones, which were later painted over with authentic "Fulcrum Grey" and "Fulcrum Grey/Green" from Testors. The Humbrol Slate Grey turned out to be a bit very dark, so the contrast to the (very pale but intense) Fulcrum Grey/Green is rather harsh - more than I had planned. I tried to tame things down with a black ink wash and even a grey filter was, but the surface ended up with more contrast between the panels than intended. Anyway, I stuck with it, because I can hardly imagine a model in the pure authentic colors. It should hurt the eyes! X.x'

The nose radome became grey instead of the typical, bright green. I used RLM 75 (Braunviolett), also from Testors, since it has a brownish hue which matches the light grey of the model. Some other di-electric panels and covers were painted in the same tone.
The cockpit interior was painted in bright Russian Interior Blue Green from Testors, the landing gear wells were kept Humbrol 87 (Steel Grey) - based on pics of real life Su-15. The wheel discs became bright green - odd, but it adds some contrast to the all-grey machine.

Further colorful eye-catchers are the Ukrainian roundels and the yellow tactical code - both were placed on irregular, grey bases, as if they had recently been updated.

The white missiles also stand out and make the Su-19M look more interesting, distracting from its new wings.

In the end, I am not truly convinced of the result. The wing shape is basically correct, but the real thing would have had more slender and elegant wing tips, rather Su-27-like. I made the best from the Concorde wings, but it's not perfect. Additionally, the cammo scheme ended up with more contrast than expected - the greeenish grey is too dark, even though the resulting look is not too far off and suits the slender Su-15/19 well.

But there's more whiffy stuff to come from the Su-15 genetic pool... ;)

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, even though this one is pretty simple and ...ugly.
Not as good as intended, for various reasons (wing shape, paint finish).
The picture look better than the real thing, though.  :-\

Ed S

Brilliant kitbash. You make it look simple. The fading on the paint job is excellent and looks very realistic.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

The paint job is great, and it's a fair stab at an in-service Su-19: who knows how the wing might have developed once they started flight testing it? IIRC, the Su-27's changed quite a bit from the T-10's.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Weaver on April 22, 2013, 05:16:38 PM
The paint job is great, and it's a fair stab at an in-service Su-19: who knows how the wing might have developed once they started flight testing it? IIRC, the Su-27's changed quite a bit from the T-10's.

Yes, that's true. The T-10 had much more elegant wing tips than the real Su-27 with its missile rails - from this perspective, the Concorde wings get away much better.

Many thanks, again, for having a look and the feedback!

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

comrade harps

Love the ogival wings :thumbsup: Should be more of it (not many sources for them , though).

Nice weathering, too.
Whatever.

tc2324

You caught me out there for a second Dizzy, I just thought you had done a spanking good job with just a change of colour scheme on a standard kit.  :banghead:

As always, another great creation backed up with some fantastic diorama goodness.  :bow:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot to everyone for looking. Yes, this conversion is rather subtle - wings only and the armament was beefed up accordingly. Needs a second glance...  ;)

Anyway, it's not the last Su-15 yet. I am also planning to do a T-58Sh - the ground attack project. I have a MiG-27 nose left over from the recent Q-6, and wings from an A-7 could come close to the planned real thing...  :wacko:

Stay tuned, there's another Flagon ('G', it has been spared on purpose!) in the pipeline.

For the pics: business as usual, with printed A3 format paper backgrounds and various airfield bases (printed on cardboard, e .g. from Noy's Miniatures, and slightly pimped with paint, chalk and some fibres). In the flight scenes, the landing gear has been edited away, but every picture was taken "as it is".
As s side note: I only recognized it after uploading, but on some pictures you can see rays of direct sunlight on the sky as brighter spots - the sun came out sporadically when I took the pictures, but the flaw became only visible when I saw the compressed online pictures... Anyway, I left them as they were.  :rolleyes:

chrisonord

You have done another excellent job to one of my favourite aircraft, I have a 4 Flaggons in the stash and this has inspired me to do something a bit different to at least one of them
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

albeback

Very interesting concept! :thumbsup:
I have a couple of Trumpeter 1/48 Su-15s. I'd considered a "what if" by marrying the fuselage of the 15 to the wings of a MiG 25! The idea of using Concorde wings never even flitted through my mind!! Well done!

To me, it just looks SOOOOOO right!! :smiley:

Now, One wonders if 1/144 Concorde wings would fit the Trumpy Flagon ?? :rolleyes:

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Dizzyfugu

Well, the concept came from Sukhoi OKB, and the "real" thing looked more elegant than my interpretation:

And a desktop model that appears frequently in literature:

Mating a 1:48 Su-15 with 1:144 Concorde wings should work. The dimension difference is just ~6% (the 1:144 are relatively slightly smaller than my 1:72/1:200 mash-up), but it should work, since I had to cut the wings at the fuselage intersection, reducing potential span. It's a messy job though, but if the 1:144 Concorde wings have a flat underside (my Revell kit has/had "holes" where the engine nacelles are to be placed), the job should be straightforward. The Concorde wing shape is not perfect, though, but the best I could find (at little time, effort and cost).

Thanks a lot for the feedback!  :drink: