Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on May 03, 2024, 01:39:31 AM..These will be boxes Thirty-Five and onwards. I find it far quicker to find something that I am looking for when I have a spreadsheet saying what is in which box and that each box has a designation on the top left corner of each vertical surface.

Having a similar system, the main issue is maintaining it. Taking out a kit, or adding one to the StashTM too often isn't reflected in a spreadsheet update, this obviously leading to a slow deterioration of the accuracy of the spreadsheet, in turn leading to occasional inventories, which, due to the number of StashTM items, isn't too popular with the family as the living room is fully occupied for up to a week.  :angel:

Well, well. I'm a lot better off with than without that spreadsheet anyway.. 
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on May 06, 2024, 12:18:16 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 03, 2024, 01:39:31 AM..These will be boxes Thirty-Five and onwards. I find it far quicker to find something that I am looking for when I have a spreadsheet saying what is in which box and that each box has a designation on the top left corner of each vertical surface.

Having a similar system, the main issue is maintaining it. Taking out a kit, or adding one to the StashTM too often isn't reflected in a spreadsheet update, this obviously leading to a slow deterioration of the accuracy of the spreadsheet, in turn leading to occasional inventories, which, due to the number of StashTM items, isn't too popular with the family as the living room is fully occupied for up to a week.  :angel:

Well, well. I'm a lot better off with than without that spreadsheet anyway..

The page on my spreadsheet for the "Model Room" is now only a rough guide and might bear a faint resemblance to reality.  :rolleyes:

Now completed box 38 and started to reorganise the parts of the model room that have been cleared. For example, all my rattle cans and any other can related to air-brushing now have a dedicated shelf in a repurposed bookcase.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on May 06, 2024, 10:54:05 AM..for example, all my rattle cans and any other can related to air-brushing now have a dedicated shelf in a repurposed bookcase.

I took a thorough inventory of my Land Rover parts this weekend, resulting not only in a significantly more logic setup on the shelves, but also some rediscovery of parts I thought I had lost. Happy chappy, as I now won't have to reorder.. ;)
Mentioning this casually to a friend, he laughed at me, mentioning something about "hoarder syndrome", but in all honesty - how else are you supposed to keep a Defender on the road? As said, I have an entire room (if a small one) full of spares, and still I'm barely keeping up with what's falling off..  ;D

As for StashTM boxes, I'm at 33, so far, but it's looking as if I'll need a 34th as well. Damn you, Evilbay..

The Rat

Quote from: Gondor on May 06, 2024, 10:54:05 AM...might bear a faint resemblance to reality.  :rolleyes:

So, like some of us here?  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

Quote from: The Rat on May 07, 2024, 01:34:48 PM
Quote from: Gondor on May 06, 2024, 10:54:05 AM...might bear a faint resemblance to reality.  :rolleyes:

So, like some of us here?  ;D

I disagree, we and our models are real. The models might bear a faint resemblance to reality, but we certainly do.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

kerick

People are always telling me I'm unreal....., :rolleyes:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on May 07, 2024, 02:43:55 PMPeople are always telling me I'm unreal....., :rolleyes:
Not normal in my case ..even my mum says it  :wacko:  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Wardukw on May 09, 2024, 06:17:21 PM
Quote from: kerick on May 07, 2024, 02:43:55 PMPeople are always telling me I'm unreal....., :rolleyes:

'Normal' is over rated.

That's my usual excuse, anyway...  :rolleyes:

As I have said on more than one occasion, People need to stop expecting Normal from me - we all know it's never going to happen! ;D

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 09, 2024, 10:37:44 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on May 09, 2024, 06:17:21 PM

'Normal' is over rated.

That's my usual excuse, anyway...  :rolleyes:

As I have said on more than one occasion, People need to stop expecting Normal from me - we all know it's never going to happen! ;D
One persons normal is another person's abnormal..conflict is a perfect example of that and Rick mate ..im seriously glad I'm not normal..wouldn't know all these ladd if I was 😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Thank God we are not all "normal"! What a boring world we would live in.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on May 10, 2024, 09:11:30 AMThank God we are not all "normal"! What a boring world we would live in.

What is "Normal"?

Gondor

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on May 10, 2024, 10:14:06 AM
Quote from: kerick on May 10, 2024, 09:11:30 AMThank God we are not all "normal"! What a boring world we would live in.

What is "Normal"?

Gondor

To adapt "Yes, Minister"**  it's an example of a English irregular verb I am normal, you are a bit odd, he is utterly Dagenham ##

** British political comedy
##Dagenham, because it's even further down the line than Barking.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on May 10, 2024, 10:55:47 AMTo adapt "Yes, Minister"**  it's an example of a English irregular verb I am normal, you are a bit odd, he is utterly Dagenham ##

** British political comedy
##Dagenham, because it's even further down the line than Barking.

I always thought "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" were live 24 hour "fly on the wall" broadcasts from Whitehall and Downing St respectively  :o

My favourite episodes were the couple where Jim actually managed to outdo Sir Humphrey  ;D Similarly my favourite Steptoe was the one where Harold came out on top for once  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Late yesterday I finished cataloging the contents of the last box of six that I am putting into the Loft. That equates to 528 kits, excluding accessories that will be in the loft by the end of the day. I look around my model room and realise that more needs to be relocated into the lost so an order for another four boxes has just been placed, they are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday which I have off work to allow myself a bit of time to get over the funeral on Monday.
The reason for so many kits being moved into the lost is in two parts. 1) I have well over a thousand kits and that number is unlikely to go down so I need to make room. 2) I need space to organise all the odds and ends that I have accumulated over the years. The spare part from one kit that I was thinking of modifying to use with something else, decals, the occasional detail set, just not very often, and bits of paper that are either adverts or normal junk post.
It will also allow me to put my spray booth somewhere, I have to find a home for the turntable I have seeing that I am not transferring records onto my PC any more  :unsure:
There is always a slight chance that I could win the lottery and be able to buy myself a much bigger place  :-\

Gondor

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on May 11, 2024, 12:32:45 AMThere is always a slight chance that I could win the lottery and be able to buy myself a much bigger place

..which inevitably would lead to the procurement of more kits - as you now have the storage space.. :wacko: