Zombie build 5, FIRE truck

Started by kerick, March 16, 2013, 02:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Well, its about time I threw a hat into this ring. Revell's 1/32nd snaptite Mack fire truck. The idea is a group of survivors come together in what's left of a small town and "aquire" the town's old but trustworthy pumper truck. Water storage is no longer a problem as the suction hoses can be used to draw water from pools, ponds and, with luck, water mains. Now the never ending search is for food and desiel fuel. Since every farm has some sort of fuel storage for the farm equipment this requires moving from farm to farm everytime the fuel runs out. Large tanks jury rigged to the back of the truck will haul fuel to keep the truck running. Another factor is that farms usually have well equiped workshops to keep the equipment running. Another group has joined up that knew how to get into the National Guard armory. Since not only zombies but survival crazed humans are a threat being well armed is essential. Lately the fire truck has become something more like a improvised gun truck.

Square one

The first attempt at painting was an epic fail.

The paint from the rattle can came out so thin it was like painting with cherry kool aid. Its in the stripper pan as I type.

Some extras I've bought over the years. This should be enough to build a fire/gun truck!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

I like the idea. It`s one of those things I think about too, the need for fuel and supplies. I know the show is aimed to keep the tv audience happy, but I still think they should show a little more of that side of survival.

As per the kit, looks like some pretty good detail on the cab and body, for a snap tite kit ? I think I want one....

I saw the snap Mack truck and tank trailer, and was thinking along similar lines.

Sorru to hear the paint crapped out on you....looking forward to seeing it advance, epsecially after seeing all the goodies you have lined up for it !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Go4fun

This should be another fun one to follow. I might try something along those lines altho the smaller scales are harder for me to do. I hope you keep us updated often kerick.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

kerick

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 16, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
I like the idea. It`s one of those things I think about too, the need for fuel and supplies. I know the show is aimed to keep the tv audience happy, but I still think they should show a little more of that side of survival.

As per the kit, looks like some pretty good detail on the cab and body, for a snap tite kit ? I think I want one....

I saw the snap Mack truck and tank trailer, and was thinking along similar lines.

Sorru to hear the paint crapped out on you....looking forward to seeing it advance, epsecially after seeing all the goodies you have lined up for it !

I think the paint failed because even though the paint can and the model were warm from being in the house when I stepped out side to spray to keep fumes out of the house it all got cold, +/- 0C. Either that or the paint was old.
The body and cab  appear to be from multi part molds. Fair amount of detail for snap tite. Not bad for copyright 1982. Decent price compared to the 1/24th truck kits too.
The weapons and figures are stuff I've collected over time. I was always going to use them on different armor projects. You know how that goes. It will be put to good use here. One of the kits comes with a 870 shotgun that will be perfect. I may use a few left over Tamiya WW2 weapons too. An M-1 garand would look good.
A good part of survival is finding the ordinary non TV sexy stuff like food and water. In the real survival schools they spend nearly all the time on water, food and shelter. I guess it doesn't make good TV.
I looked at the 1/32nd truck and tanker. The first thing I thought of was the tanker truck in Mad Max. That would be an interesting build.
Time to check out the stripper again....

the paint stripper!  
I know what you all were thinking!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Sticky Fingers

I like your thinking! Cool ideas, and a cool looking kit, too. Have fun!

kerick

Stripped off the crap paint and tried again with different paint. Looks much better now. Things can proceed from here. I filled in the back of the front tires as they were molded hollow. The back duals have the hollow portions facing each other so not a big deal there. The tires are hard PS so I was going to paint them. Any suggestions for color? I was thinking of Euro gray which is pretty dark with a little flat black. Then I'll dry brush with a little bit lighter color. Anything in a bottle like that? I wish I had a couple extra tires to load on as spares.
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

I know it's kinda cheeky but, for the spare wheels, why not mould a bit of tissue or Aves (or similar) over the existing wheels to get their outline & have your spares covered by tarps (obviously you remove the actual wheels once you have a firm-ish outline)?

You don't even need to have them neatly stacked, either!

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Ah yes the old trick of hidding it with a tarp! I'll keep that in mind.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I finally got an acceptable coat of paint on the truck. I'm hand painting the aluminum diamond plate areas. I filled in the hollow tires on the front wheels. It looks better now. I'll have pics soon.
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

I know you plan to use the high pressure hose mount on top but if you don't it looks like a perfect weapon mount!  ;)

kerick

I'm planning to keep the nozzel on top and place a ring mount over the right front corner of the cab.

Here's the front wheels filled in before painting.

Decent paint on the body and cab now. I think it's a little too bright a shade but it will do. After I'm done with this it won't matter that much.

I have to paint the seats and the interior then the fun will begin.
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Looking good ! Can't wait to see what the 'fun' entails !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Go4fun

This should be very interesting now.

kerick

I'm wondering if I should go with some flat plates for the zombie plow or try to curve some plastic over a form to make a more snow plow shape. I think I will try the curve first and see how it goes. The flat plates can be plan B.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I'm still adding all the fire truck bits and pieces. I've decided to place the ring mount above and to one side of the engine area. This will place it in the middle of the truck and leave more room for the water cannon I hope. I'm going to make many of the plates rusty. What's the best way to make decent looking rusty areas? I checked the local arts and crafts store for a rust finish material. The only thing they had was leaking all over and had half a bottle left.
Tophe the Wise