Author Topic: Luftwaffe Northrop F-5L  (Read 3002 times)

Offline nönöbär

• Full scale Arrow in basement
    • German Naval History
Luftwaffe Northrop F-5L
« on: June 24, 2012, 03:10:54 am »
Hi,

The Luftwaffe Notthrop F-5 is now completed. In the end, I had some trouble with the decals as they desintegrated into nothing when in the water, so I had to go to plan B and take some other ones which are a bit too big.

The model:
The kit is a 1/72 sclae PM-Model, which is very basic, just about 20 parts. I added some additional pylons with bombs to it and did not attach the wingti fuel tanks.

The story:
In the late 1970s, the Fiat G91 was the primary CAS aircraft in the German Luftwaffe.
Looking for a replacement, (in real life, this was the Alpha Jet), the Luftwaffe evaluated several types and finally decided to get the F-5L, an upgraded version for the Northorp F-5 A.
One of the reasosn to choose the F-5 was that Germany already operated the T-38 Talon as its primary jet trainer in the USA.

Not equipped with the wing fuel tanks, but with improved avionics, the aircraft was ment to be used in a dual role.
First, close air support and in a second role, as a light fighter aircraft.
The first aircraft were delivered in 1982 and was used at the Jagdbombergeschwader (JaboG) 41 in Husum, JaboG 43 in Oldenburg, and JaboG 49 in Fürstenfeldbruck.
A total of 175 planes were ordered and used by the Luftwaffe until the early 1990s when it had to reduce the number of aircraft after unification.

Most F-5L were then sold to other operators like Turkey and Switzerland, a few were bought by Austria to replace the Saab Draken.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Luftwaffe Northrop F-5L
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 05:56:51 am »
That's a very nice model! I see what you mean by the markings being too big, is it possible to replace them later?

Offline Steel Penguin

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:27:52 am »
nice looking, and the markings do goive it a certain bold apperance.
Redone 19/08/15  the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady added 07/10/18   take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances.   wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:18:52 am »
I like that  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:55:56 am »
Nice idea - well done. :thumbsup:
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • bashes kits
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »
That's nice.  And ya know, don't anyone rubbish stuff like PM 'cos it's ideal for whiffing.
 ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Arrow/Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco GA.1/Barracuda/CASA 2.217/Corsair GR1/EE P12/Fw190D-15/Hawker P1104/Hawker P1067/Hellcat IV/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/Phantom FG1/Puffin/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Val/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter/Twin Otter