General Modelling Forum > Modeling Blogs

McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'

(1/319) > >>

McColm:
Hi,
I've nearly finished my 1/72 Lockheed Neptune MR2. Just need to fix the weapon bay doors from a BAe Nimrod kit, add the decals and aerials. I hand painted the model in battleship grey, jet pod engines- red intake doors with gun metal surround. P-3 sonar buoy tubes and two C-130J engines pushed through the round cowling. The exhaust pipes are from a Sea Harrier swivel nozzles.
Next on the list is the 1/72 tandem Mig-25: the nose wheel under carriage needs replacing as it's not long enough. I've found a suitable radar kit to display the nose cone in the opened position. Cockpit detail to be added, access ladders and decals. Fuselage painted black, exhaust pipes gun metal, main undercarriage gun metal, tyres matt black.

1/25 Ford Capri MK2 soft top 2 door roadster lefthand drive. 4 Individual seats, manual gear box, V8 engine, German spec. Side exhaust pipes, 4 lamp headlights, side indicators. Wheels to be added and paint scheme sorted, wheel arches and front air-skirt glued on.
1/144 Sea Shadow MKII
Airfix hovercraft base with Revell sea shadow added.A4  Plasticard added to raise profile, seamaster engines.

McColm:
Been surfing the web for suitable 1/24 garage workshop fittings and discovered that Fujimi do a range of sets in plastic whereas Phoenix and Toy Wonders do a range in diecast metal. Amazon used to sell this range but is now discontinued.
You can get fittings on eBay from time to time. I might have to scratch build my workshop and use the crane from my Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat.
This project is on hold at the present time as I'm working on my 'Connie' fleet.

McColm:
Been working some crazy shifts last week and I haven't spent any time on my stash. I picked a copy of 'British Leyland-the history, the engineering, the people by Stephen Pullen. From WHSmith from steam wagons to seventies' strife. Before catching a train from London Charring Cross Station.
There is scpoe for a few whatifs and real world wiffs. I haven't seen any 1/24 or 1/25 plastic kit Jaguar XJ6 saloons to convert into the Avon XJ6 estate. Although the BMW Mini could be badged as a Riley or Wolseley if the front grill was changed.
Another thought was using a 1/72 Yak-38 and F-22, making the F-22 into a V/STOL. As to the two seater YF-23 my first thought was the front section of a RA-5C, but closer examination leads me to use my Airfix 1/72 TSR-2.

McColm:
Hi,
Brian in Australia should have got the two RR Tyne engine parts off the complicated spruce from the Revell 1/72 Dassault Br.1150 Atlantic MK1 and instruction sheet. I didn't supply the under carriage wheels as he just wanted the engines. I'll use them on my Mach2 Atlantic MK1 kit build.

The Griffon powered 'Connie' is undergoing the mundane filler-sanding down-filler routine, splinters added to the engines and I'm thinking of replacing the exhaust pipes with some stretched spruce over the wings.

In between the sanding and filling, I picked up the Airfix 'General Lee' 1/24 Dodge Charger and painted the dashboard. I've gone for the retro look of orange dials and switches with a satin black surround. I found that the Matchbox Ford/Mercury Capri II rear seats are a better fit although the bench seat from the Daka RangeRover is another possiblity. The suspension is leafsprings which can be set at high or low, so the road car version will be built, well sort of.

I've also found a suitable base for the 'Isle of McColm' from ModelRail AprilMay 2012 issue.

McColm:
I had a few days off this week and picked up my first 'Whiff' project a Lockheed Neptune. Fitted the weapons bay doors sourced from an Airfix BAe Nimrod, found a better stand, opted for four propeller blades per engine as the 7 blades keep getting snapped off.

As to the 'Welsh Harp Sea Monster', a new cockpit has been added where the front turret used to be. This has come from a two seater F-18.

Progress of the Nimrod AEW-Tanker stretched five point tanker, has taken me by suprise. My earlier attempts on building this failed as the front extension kept breaking off. I've now cracked this and third time lucky it's stayed together. Even with a cargo door added to the starboard side of the model. Additional parts have been raided from a Heller C-135RF and a AML EC-135 'Looking Glass', Fujimi Hawkeye E-2C.
Even the TF-33 engines look good on the Nimrod.

Filler, sanding and filler still goes on with the Griffon powered Connie. the detailing of the engines is time consuming, but will benefit the model.

I haven't tested out my new airbrush yet, might try this out on my 1/144 Sea Shadow MKII, mat black to give it that sneaky stealthy look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version