Arado 234 with V1 Huckepack design questions....

Started by Tuck, March 14, 2011, 07:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuck

I am looking to make a 1:48 scale version of this with the Promodeler 234 C and the Tamiya V1.  I question the actual use of the system shown in this picture:

I think this system looks complex, prone to failure, etc.  I think a simple pylon would be a much better operational use setup.  The primary issue with this arrangement is the exhaust from the V1 against the 234 C's tailfin.  My thinking is a pylon slightly offset to one side so the exhaust misses the tail, or angles at a 45 degree angle, etc.  Insofar as the exhaust issue, look at this picture of the mounting on the He 111:

Now that certainly looks like the V1 exhaust will hit the horizontal stabilizer, so why be concerned about it hitting the tail on the 234?  The other question is this: did the v1 engine start while still attached to the parent aircraft and was THEN released, or was it released and THEN the engine started?  If the latter, then the exhaust issue is null on the 234. 

I guess my point is that trapeze thing looks complex, fail prone and somewhat impractical and unnecessary.  Ya'll think a pylon is more realistic from an operational standpoint?

Tuck
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

PR19_Kit

Having the V-1 slanted at 45 deg to the line of flight doesn't sound too much of a good idea. The thrust of that pulse-jet suddenly arriving on start-up would need some serious rudder trim on the pilot's part, even if he could apply as much to overcome the extra thrust anyway.

AFAIK the He-111s did start the V-1 engine before they dropped it, there was an article about them in an aviation magazine a few years ago, and it said pretty much that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Tuck

"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

rickshaw

The exhaust of the pulsejet wasn't as hot as that of a jet engine.  The system depicted is what was intended to be used.  The engine of the Fi103 was lit before launch but the tail wouldn't be in the efflux for very long.   On the He111 the usual method was to start the Fi103's engine and then drop it.  It would recover and fly in what ever line it was pointed until it's fuel ran out or the autopilot told it to switch the engine off.   I expect that the Ar234 would light the Fi103's engine and then allow it to fly up and off the arm.  The arm's only function was to make sure that the Fi103 cleared the tail.   Personally, like many of the hare-brained schemes they came up with, I suspect it wouldn't have acted quite as well as it was advertised.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Green Dragon

IIRC the V-1's engine wasn't supposed to be turned on until the trapeze lifted it clear of the 234's tail fin, though still attached, as seen on the plane in the background. I reckon you'd get a lot of vibration and/or twisting that could cause big problems when the V-1 gets lifted into launch postion. I doubt the RLM would have put this trapeze system into service so I'd go with the twin tailed 234 with the V-1 on a pylon idea. A lot simpler and less that could go wrong.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dumaniac

Tuck - you are a man after my own heart.

a V-tail or a Lancaster twin fin would overcome the problem and both conversions would be fairly simple.  I also assume the gantry on the image probably served two functions - one is to isolate the vibration (I didn't think of that) and the other would be to provide some clearance between the two craft.  If the V1 deceided to do something unpredictable, the higher gantry would provide some chance of survival for the Arado.  The pilon provides virtually no room for error.  And the He111 dropped the V1 - if it went dead, it just fell away.

But remember - this is Luft 46 - don't let the facts get in the way of a good model.

good luck and don't get hung up on detail

Bernie

Scooterman

Green Dragon

Just offered up the Revell He219 twin tail to a Dragon Ar234 and it looks like it will be a pretty good fit! Might need to lessen the tailplane chord a bit as it looks a little thick and heavy but it's a really nice idea!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)