Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Hornby's probably gave the company that made the coin more of a lead time than they did their own design staff. 
;D

Boss: Hey we're going to do a Falklands anniversary version of the Vulcan.

Designer with 5+ projects on the go:
Oh, that sounds good, who's doing the work?

Boss: Well, I figured we'd give it to you.

Designer: I'm kind of swamped at the moment.

Boss: It's a small job, I'm sure you can fit it in.

Designer: ... (sigh) When do you need it?

Boss: Tomorrow

Designer: ...

Beermonster58

I don't think Airfix always get it wrong with add ons. The set for the Valiant PR / B(K).1 was rather nice All I need is a Valiant to go with it! As for the afore mentioned Mosquito? Well, I don't know what the alleged  issues were as, I'm no expert on the type. However, I thought it was a well detailed, if slightly over engineered kit which cannot be mistaken for anything other than a Mosquito.  I have two of them and, hope Airfix will now produce an F/FB variant(s) which I will happily buy.

Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Gondor

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 28, 2023, 02:04:35 AMI don't think Airfix always get it wrong with add ons. The set for the Valiant PR / B(K).1 was rather nice All I need is a Valiant to go with it! As for the afore mentioned Mosquito? Well, I don't know what the alleged  issues were as, I'm no expert on the type. However, I thought it was a well detailed, if slightly over engineered kit which cannot be mistaken for anything other than a Mosquito.  I have two of them and, hope Airfix will now produce an F/FB variant(s) which I will happily buy.

The latest boxing of the Valiant comes with the aditional Sprues' for the Tanker and Reconnaissance versions as part of it.

What happened with the Mosquito was that some of the B.XVI's were converted into target tugs which involved modifications to the bomb bay doors, why do I hear Hal's voice when ever I write Bay Doors?, and the fairing at the rear of the bomb bay. The Aircraft they scanned was one of these aircraft which was in a museum and had been painted up to represent an operational bomber while still retaining the door and bay modifications. So if you want to build a target tug version, part of the work is done for you  :rolleyes:
As for an F/FB version, there is already a kit of the single stage Merlin powered versions that they do so it's not going to be a high priority for them to do a new mould, Tamiya do a very nice version though.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on September 28, 2023, 02:52:00 AMWhat happened with the Mosquito was that some of the B.XVI's were converted into target tugs which involved modifications to the bomb bay doors, why do I hear Hal's voice when ever I write Bay Doors?

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on September 28, 2023, 02:52:00 AM...What happened with the Mosquito was that some of the B.XVI's were converted into target tugs which involved modifications to the bomb bay doors, why do I hear Hal's voice when ever I write Bay Doors?, and the fairing at the rear of the bomb bay. The Aircraft they scanned was one of these aircraft which was in a museum and had been painted up to represent an operational bomber while still retaining the door and bay modifications. So if you want to build a target tug version, part of the work is done for you  :rolleyes:
As for an F/FB version, there is already a kit of the single stage Merlin powered versions that they do so it's not going to be a high priority for them to do a new mould, Tamiya do a very nice version though.

Gondor

Tailwheel is wrong too IIRC.

Quote from: jcf on September 27, 2023, 03:29:52 PM...Boss: Hey we're going to do a Falklands anniversary version of the Vulcan.

So you've met my former employer?

"Fred, we're starting a new job.  You need to do a Job Safety Analysis and a Work Method Statement."
"OK, when do you need them by?"
"Well we started yesterday..."

Working in the Post Office is much less stressful.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: scooter on September 28, 2023, 03:29:41 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 28, 2023, 02:52:00 AMWhat happened with the Mosquito was that some of the B.XVI's were converted into target tugs which involved modifications to the bomb bay doors, why do I hear Hal's voice when ever I write Bay Doors?

I can never hear "Daisy Bell" (& I can never see that image of HAL without "Daisy Bell" playing in my head) without feeling rather sad for HAL, I did when I first watched the movie as a child, too. Weirdly, because when I was 7 or 8 computers weren't really a big thing, even then I knew HAL was a programmed AI & that it wasn't his fault that somewhere someone had programmed in either conflicting instructions or an intentional program that had fatal consequences.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Leading Observer

Just had an email advising that Airfix are re-releasing the SRN1 in their Vintage Classics
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on September 28, 2023, 03:43:44 AMTailwheel is wrong too IIRC.

Now you mention it, yes.

Quote from: jcf on September 27, 2023, 03:29:52 PM...Boss: Hey we're going to do a Falklands anniversary version of the Vulcan.

So you've met my former employer?

"Fred, we're starting a new job.  You need to do a Job Safety Analysis and a Work Method Statement."
"OK, when do you need them by?"
"Well we started yesterday..."

Working in the Post Office is much less stressful.
[/quote]

Sounds like the development department at work. Six years and more after work started on the designe, one of the Mechanical engineers tried to assemble one of the drive units following the instructions that the department made, and couldn't. He then had to follow advice from the people who build the assembly how to do it  :rolleyes:
They also have another unit which has been built a few times, emphasis on few, and they have yet to produce instructions on how to build the units.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Quote from: Gondor on September 28, 2023, 02:52:00 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 28, 2023, 02:04:35 AMI don't think Airfix always get it wrong with add ons. The set for the Valiant PR / B(K).1 was rather nice All I need is a Valiant to go with it! As for the afore mentioned Mosquito? Well, I don't know what the alleged  issues were as, I'm no expert on the type. However, I thought it was a well detailed, if slightly over engineered kit which cannot be mistaken for anything other than a Mosquito.  I have two of them and, hope Airfix will now produce an F/FB variant(s) which I will happily buy.

The latest boxing of the Valiant comes with the aditional Sprues' for the Tanker and Reconnaissance versions as part of it.

What happened with the Mosquito was that some of the B.XVI's were converted into target tugs which involved modifications to the bomb bay doors, why do I hear Hal's voice when ever I write Bay Doors?, and the fairing at the rear of the bomb bay. The Aircraft they scanned was one of these aircraft which was in a museum and had been painted up to represent an operational bomber while still retaining the door and bay modifications. So if you want to build a target tug version, part of the work is done for you  :rolleyes:

Gondor

The 'base' Mosquito's colour scheme?  That was pretty fictitious.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Quote from: jcf on September 24, 2023, 04:07:00 PMThe big slab is a result of them not paying attention and thinking that the undercarriage
bay door was part of the pylon. Which was
based on misinterpreting the photo of the guy
working on the pod. Evidently somebody didn't
grasp that pod was not yet mounted on the
aircraft.

If only Airfix had checked out Modeldecal sheet 71's instructions and supporting photos!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 28, 2023, 02:04:35 AMI don't think Airfix always get it wrong with add ons. The set for the Valiant PR / B(K).1 was rather nice All I need is a Valiant to go with it!

Oh yes, I used that on my Martin Monterey (An RAF Seamaster effectively...) and the tanker bits were SUPERB! Specially when compared to the Mach 2 Seamaster!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: Leading Observer on September 28, 2023, 04:16:27 AMJust had an email advising that Airfix are re-releasing the SRN1 in their Vintage Classics

Yes, just saw a video about it on YouTube. Great news! And a Throwback Thursday!

A Slippery Situation
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

I rather liked the SRN-1 kit, and it's open to a bit of Whiffery as it seemed to be different for every 'flight', with added skirts and air dams, and even up rated engines too.

At its first appearance at Farnborough it flew so low, I think it was only 6" off the ground, that it looked like it was scraping the runway!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2023, 12:02:19 PMI rather liked the SRN-1 kit, and it's open to a bit of Whiffery as it seemed to be different for every 'flight', with added skirts and air dams, and even up rated engines too.

At its first appearance at Farnborough it flew so low, I think it was only 6" off the ground, that it looked like it was scraping the runway!  :o

Couldn't get much higher.  ;D

I seem to recall there were some tests with the Army as an assault vehicle, so a diorama with some troops on the deck would be an obvious one. Might even be some pictures out there somewhere.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Yes, they did just that the yearn after, batting down the runway quite a bit higher with the deck stuffed with Marines I think.

Regards
Kit