Author Topic: Whiffs found surfing  (Read 250445 times)

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
Re: Whiffs found surfing
« Reply #1980 on: May 14, 2019, 02:00:18 am »
Well, the P-51 wing was actually a Curtiss design, and originally had plans on installing it on a version of the P-40. North American bought the rights to it when the BPC* had asked them to produce P-40s for them but North American declined but then said well build you a better airplane.  One of the reasons why NAA was able to build the Mustang Prototype in 120 days --- the rest is history ---

* British Purchasing Commission

I knew about the "120 days" bit - I didn't know the wing was designed by Curtiss-Wright. 

Thanks!  That's my new thing to learn for today!  :angel:

I have also heard - I've forgotten the source now - that NAA had a peek at the plans for the Bf-109, in the "before the US was in the war" days, and that was also a great help to the design of the Mustang.  I don't know the truth to that, and I've been searching for back-up evidence - so far none found.

"We're all here because we're not all there."

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #1981 on: May 14, 2019, 07:38:29 am »

I have also heard - I've forgotten the source now - that NAA had a peek at the plans for the Bf-109, in the "before the US was in the war" days, and that was also a great help to the design of the Mustang.  I don't know the truth to that, and I've been searching for back-up evidence - so far none found.

As in 'NO way are we going to build such a stupidly narrow main gear as THAT!'
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
« Reply #1982 on: May 14, 2019, 11:58:15 am »

As in 'NO way are we going to build such a stupidly narrow main gear as THAT!'

I'm afraid that is a bit of a myth.

From wiki;

Fueled by a striking similarity of the early Mustang and the German Messerschmitt Bf 109 - pilots and ground crews of both sides confused the two aircraft - and Schmued's German origin, an urban legend has grown up, claiming he had once worked for Willy Messerschmitt and that the Mustang was heavily influenced by the Bf 109. Neither claim is true but the urban legend persists.[4] Schmued's team at NAA did receive, disassemble and inspect the first captured Bf 109 from the Spanish Civil War in 1939, and he regularly received copies of German Aeronautical Engineering Journals through 1941 supplied by Jim McGowan, ALCOA's consulting sales engineer.[5]

The designer was Edgar Schmued

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Schmued
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:00:38 pm by kitnut617 »
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike