Main Menu

How low can you go?

Started by GTX, November 30, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2020, 05:09:38 AM
Wasn't there a tale of a Skyhawk or Mirage clipping the stern rails of one the ships in San Carlos Water?

My workmate who was a CPO aboard the Alacrity tells of watching that happen and they thought both ship and aircraft were about to combine!

Yes I've heard that one too, but I can't remember which ship it was.

One of the Skyhawks which bombed Antelope hit the ship's aft mast, snapped it in two, and crashed into the sea on the other side...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on October 24, 2020, 08:21:48 PM
Wasn't there a tale of a Skyhawk or Mirage clipping the stern rails of one the ships in San Carlos Water?

My workmate who was a CPO aboard the Alacrity tells of watching that happen and they thought both ship and aircraft were about to combine!

One of the Skyhawks which bombed Antelope hit the ship's aft mast, snapped it in two, and crashed into the sea on the other side...

The mast or the aircraft?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 27, 2020, 08:02:23 AM
Quote from: scooter on October 27, 2020, 06:44:42 AM

Breitling Fighters fly LOW down a canal - FULL SEQUENCE

Yeah, it would be Ray Hanna in the lead.  ;D

But I reckon Lee Proudfoot in '434 was the lowest!  :o

Oh, cool - thanks for the link.
Nice that 2 of them were in RNZAF colours...  ;) :thumbsup: :wub:

*Allow me to reciprocate...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUKiKvl29Q

OK, not as low, but still pretty darn cool.
And I see (hear) now why the Corsair was called 'Whistling Death'.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 27, 2020, 05:28:07 PM

Even today that's one fearsome looking machine when it's coming straight at you!  :o  :thumbsup:

That engine seemed to vibrate quite a bit from some of those cockpit shots, I wonder of the prop was out of balance or something?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 27, 2020, 05:35:17 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 27, 2020, 05:28:07 PM

Even today that's one fearsome looking machine when it's coming straight at you!  :o  :thumbsup:

That engine seemed to vibrate quite a bit from some of those cockpit shots, I wonder of the prop was out of balance or something?

I don't know enough about the subject to have noticed, I was busy geeking out at the Glorious Preserved Corsair (and the local scenery, too)!  ;D ;)

Old Wombat

R-2800 .... That's what my Sea Wallaby would have sounded like! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Nick

PR19_Kit

Then there's the archtypal '...under the bridge....' vid, first shown as part of the 'Piece of Cake' TV series and later re-used in 'Foyle's War'.

Flown by the late Ray Hanna in reality, aboard MH434, which aircraft was used again for the before and after shots in Foyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbXHhPG8SY4

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on October 24, 2020, 10:23:40 PM
Quote from: Weaver on October 24, 2020, 08:21:48 PM

The mast or the aircraft?

Both!

The mast (which was just a (presumably alloy) pole on Type 21s) bent right over at about 120 deg and the top of it snapped off. The Skyhawk, which may have already taken some 20mm hits, crashed into the sea.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '