Any Rules about Paint Schemes for Fighter & Bomber Aircraft Models?

Started by Cobra, December 01, 2008, 10:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

IJNAF aircraft that's true, but in some cases the IJAAF just did markings over NMF a good chunk of the time, spattering camo on when it became desperately necessary (see some Ki-61's and 84's that were NMF/Markings and then had camo splotched over it in dark green).  IJNAF were full colour all over, normally light undersides and dark tops, late-war they skipped on the underside paint and aircraft like the Shinden were dark green over NMF - which I think is a sexy combination anyways - short skirt sexy.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Geoff

Flitzer

Hi all...
With regard to German WW2 secret projects, a few years ago I was asked how I decided on a scheme and my answer was...

QuoteFirst and foremost there is a lot more freedom in choosing a colour scheme for a 'What-if' project but some care is needed as, personally I believe, a Luft 46 model should look as if it actually existed. It should look unmistakably German in colour and scheme. After all in different circumstances many projects may have made production and operational status. I try and achieve this by, generally speaking, keeping to standard RLM palette of colours, although there are many opportunities to try new colours and camo patterns.

There are many things to consider before choosing a scheme and the colours all of which have a distinct influence.

WW2 Germany probably had one of the largest range of colours and camouflage patterns at the time and this was compounded by many directives and orders issued by the RLM, often contradictory.

Most camouflage schemes were completed in the field which in itself offers a wide scope of possibilities. An individual ground crews' interpretation of the guidelines could affect any official scheme slightly or greatly.

Improvisation and the irregular supply of the correct paints and shades and the thinners with which a ground crew may have been forced by circumstance, to use, could all have had an unmistakable effect.

The theatre of operations and the intended role an aircraft was to fulfil also plays its part in selection.
By the late war it seems as though any camouflage was better than none at all, three and even four colour schemes where evident. And if Germany had managed to prolong the war and get some of these aircraft into the air, paint would not have been a priority but camouflage would still be essential. With this in mind it is possible to appreciate "new colours" may well have been produced more by accident than design. For example a shortfall of RLM82 may have had other more plentiful colours mixed with it to stretch the amount of paint available. The phantom sky colour, commonly labelled RLM 84, is a prime example. The huge difference in shades could have been achieved by mixing more plentiful shades with those that were low in quantity.

Another method for "new" colours is to use German armour colours as these may have been available when normal aircraft colours were not. These could be used undiluted or as part of a mix.

The two easiest ways to choose a colour scheme are:

To find an existing aircraft of similar type or role as the Luft 46 subject and apply the scheme/markings to make it look like a natural replacement.

To check what aircraft a well known pilot was using and apply his typical markings/scheme to a potential Luft 46 replacement .

I still try and keep to this but I do get 'enthusiastic' sometimes.

Maybe it's of some interest, but a few years ago I tried a little experiment mixing a little Standard RLM81 Brownviolet or RLM82 green to RLM76 Blue and I got shades remarkably close to what you see often labelled as RLM84. So it may have been the ground crews mixing existing shades that saw beige-green/buff/blue green shades on aircraft late war.

Apply this logic to all colours and I think you may get close to keeping that German-ness and having the opportunity to try new shades and schemes.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Peter
;D
Madness is the normal condition, only interupted by spells of sanity.

NARSES2

Quote from: Flitzer on February 25, 2009, 06:19:51 AM
Maybe it's of some interest, but a few years ago I tried a little experiment mixing a little Standard RLM81 Brownviolet or RLM82 green to RLM76 Blue and I got shades remarkably close to what you see often labelled as RLM84. So it may have been the ground crews mixing existing shades that saw beige-green/buff/blue green shades on aircraft late war.

Apply this logic to all colours and I think you may get close to keeping that German-ness and having the opportunity to try new shades and schemes.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Peter
;D

Very interesting Peter and plausable. Using what was left in an attempt to get something that "would do"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.