Author Topic: Seen Over Your House Today  (Read 598939 times)

Online kerick

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Seen Over Your House Today
« Reply #5460 on: July 22, 2019, 08:55:21 pm »
Not over my house or anyway near for that matter but on the way back from Wisconsin Sunday afternoon I saw two different helicopters on trailers heading north. I'm thinking they are being taken to Oshkosh for the EAA airshow. Probably trying to sell them.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline perttime

« Reply #5461 on: July 23, 2019, 11:29:37 pm »
In town, on the way to work: house martins giving an airshow (chasing bugs in the air).

On the ground: 2 young terns screaming for food in a courtyard. The mother flying around. Yesterday I heard a scream there too, but that was from a woman walking there.... The tern was trying to chase her away.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5462 on: July 24, 2019, 06:03:58 am »
In town, on the way to work: house martins giving an airshow (chasing bugs in the air).

I love watching the ones flying around my brother's stables when I'm visiting in the spring/summer.

Decals my @r$e!

Offline Glenn

• King of Photoshop
« Reply #5463 on: July 24, 2019, 06:13:50 pm »

Once a month, we have a mini airsho over Ashgrove/Enogera around the Enogera Army camp. We usually get three or four Blackhawks and Tigers to use up excess av-gas
Well, a couple of weeks ago, we had one Blackhawk and one Tiger. They never let you get a good look at them...so I wasn't interested for a while knowing that if I went and picked up the Fuji, they would go home.
Well, I was wrong...took five frames of the Tiger......the Blackhawk was too shy and hid behind a tree.
Blurry, I know......long way away.
Glenn

Online kerick

« Reply #5464 on: July 31, 2019, 08:15:57 pm »
Last Monday afternoon a B-24 headed south with a P-40 right behind him. Must have been heading home from Oshkosh Airshow. Passed by too quickly for a pic.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5465 on: August 01, 2019, 01:38:23 am »
Last Monday afternoon a B-24 headed south with a P-40 right behind him. Must have been heading home from Oshkosh Airshow. Passed by too quickly for a pic.

I'm so jealous
Decals my @r$e!

Online Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #5466 on: August 01, 2019, 01:42:09 am »

I'm so jealous

Me, too!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline Mossie

• Twiglet doctor
  • What-IF SIG
  • Don't laugh at his mule
« Reply #5467 on: August 09, 2019, 03:21:48 am »
A Merlin, over work.  Surprisingly quiet, only really heard it when it maneuvered.  Followed by a HMCG S-92 as I was nearly home, a day for big helicopters. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5468 on: August 09, 2019, 03:27:15 am »
And small ones too.

A couple of Wildcats trundled down the Severn just now, surprisingly slowly for something derived from the world's fastest helicopter. (Yes, it still is.....)

I couldn't tell if they were Navy or Army ones, but then I don't know if they look any different anyway.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5469 on: August 09, 2019, 05:02:47 am »
And small ones too.

A couple of Wildcats trundled down the Severn just now, surprisingly slowly for something derived from the world's fastest helicopter. (Yes, it still is.....)

I couldn't tell if they were Navy or Army ones, but then I don't know if they look any different anyway.

I didn't know there were a pair of F4F's flying in the UK....  ;)

To be fair, the Navy and Army helicopters look much the same these days with the grey paint schemes. You can't even differentiate between the Navy having wheels and the Army having skids like the old Lynxes had.
I saw one over London on Tuesday and I assume it was FAA because of the slight radar nose.

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #5470 on: August 11, 2019, 06:47:21 am »
Seen on Friday afternoon over Shawbury (I was on my way down the A49, having been up to Carlisle for a few days to check on elderly mother and mother in law)  A Chinook, apparently going round in ever decreasing circles.  I wanted to get home so I didn't stop to see if it finally disappeared up its own tail ramp!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5471 on: August 11, 2019, 08:52:36 am »
A DC-3 just buzzed my house!  :wub:

Very low though, right at the minimum. It flew right up my road, veered left and disappeared over the hill. Obviously heading for North Weald. They must be taxiing in to the Squadron Cafe right now!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5472 on: August 12, 2019, 05:57:48 am »
Seen on Friday afternoon over Shawbury (I was on my way down the A49, having been up to Carlisle for a few days to check on elderly mother and mother in law)  A Chinook, apparently going round in ever decreasing circles.  I wanted to get home so I didn't stop to see if it finally disappeared up its own tail ramp!

Was it carrying the now obligatory six bags of aggregate ? If so I'd head for the hills  ;)
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Glenn

• King of Photoshop
« Reply #5473 on: August 15, 2019, 05:59:07 pm »

Another shot of the Tiger, only clearer.
Glenn

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5474 on: August 22, 2019, 06:08:22 am »
Loads of contrails, which given the weather is not surprising, but also lots of low'ish level airliners, which is. Obviously the wind direction has changed at either Gatwick or Heathrow, or both, and we are seeing them in their take off/landing patterns ? As said it's very unusual to see them in this part of S London.
Decals my @r$e!