Author Topic: Seen Over Your House Today  (Read 665585 times)

Offline Rheged

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
Re: Seen Over Your House Today
« Reply #5295 on: December 13, 2018, 07:48:07 am »
Had the country's sole airworthy PBY fly over the other day, having taken off after (presumably) a fuel stop. At first I thought it was the DC-3 that sometimes does airline runs, so it was doubly exciting!

It was so low and rumbly I saw the neighbour's dog watch it go by!

Jealous

+1

+2

+3!

+me.  I think it safe to say all of us are an envious green colour
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline KiwiZac

• The Zac Attack is Back!
  • aka K5054NZ, proud Whiffer since 2005
    • Zac on Facebook
« Reply #5296 on: December 15, 2018, 01:53:25 pm »
 ;D
With warm regards from Whanganui, New Zealand

Offline AeroplaneDriver

• Not licensed to do this sort of thing
  • What-IF SIG
  • Busy repainting the Jetstream in Red Arrows colors
« Reply #5297 on: December 29, 2018, 07:58:48 am »

Not over my house, but beside my airplane.  Taking off from Charlotte for a post-Christmas getaway to Boston...NC Air National Guard's new (for them) C-17s that are replacing the C-130s they operated for decades. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Offline scooter

« Reply #5298 on: December 30, 2018, 01:54:31 am »
Not over my house, but NJ-50 in Upper Twp (Cape May County)- a (non-F22) raptor lazily enjoying the day
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #5299 on: December 30, 2018, 03:02:10 am »
In my backyard, a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets feasting on Sheoak (Casuarina) seeds.
Unusually they didn't take flight when approached.  I guess their greed overcame their wariness.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5300 on: December 30, 2018, 01:03:14 pm »
Totally unexpected, specially on a Sunday, while heading down the A1(M) in Yorkshire, a couple of Typhoons, the jet ones, blasted overhead at GREAT speed, turned vertical and vanished upwards into the clouds!

As I wasn't all that far from Leeming I suppose they were on QRA and had to get out to check something heading in-bound, but it was a tad noisy for a while as had my sunroof open!  :o
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline upnorth

• I like Faireys
« Reply #5301 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:14 pm »
Not exactly over my house, but within line of site of a client's office, I saw an Airbus A400 climbing skyward from the general vicinity of our city airport.

I found out later on through an internet search that it was a German air force machine on its way from Germany down to the Balkans and it used our airport to do a practice low pass. Apparently, another German A400 did the same last week.

Sadly, my Thursday morning schedule doesn't allow me to get out to the airport.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #5302 on: January 18, 2019, 07:14:41 am »
T-38.  Almost didn't even bother. They have been and still are somewhat common place, but... when you think about it.... how cool it is to see a nearly 70 year old design rocketing over your house?????

So... yeah.... that Talon IS worthy of mention.  :thumbsup:   Going to be a sad day when they finally go away, and it's coming soon.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #5303 on: January 18, 2019, 07:44:53 am »
Heard over my house today, a couple of very big fairly low turbo prop flying machines,  since cloud base is about 75 feet, they could have been anything.....but sounded vaguely Herculesish.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline rickshaw

« Reply #5304 on: January 22, 2019, 02:52:37 pm »
RAAF P-3 Orion, at some altitude and some distance.  I came out in the way to the car and heard its engines in the distance and glanced up and saw it travelling northwards towards Edinburgh Airbase where they are stationed.   When in Perth,  we had fairly frequent Pilatus P9 overflights from the training squadron there.  I thought it was unlikely I'd see a RAAF plane again.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #5305 on: February 01, 2019, 07:00:52 am »
Was in Calgary yesterday drumming up work to do. On the way home went be the airport to see my old work mates and saw a Volga-Dnepr An 124 parked at the west end of Apron 9 at around 2pm. It had a logo on it which said 25th something or other, couldn't make it out what was actually written. My old workmates told me it had arrived a short while earlier in the morning but then they told me it was a second one that had come to YYC. The first one had arrived Wednesday morning and left an hour or so before this second one arrived.  They couldn't tell me what the load was that required two of them.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5306 on: February 01, 2019, 09:27:56 am »
Was in Calgary yesterday drumming up work to do. On the way home went be the airport to see my old work mates and saw a Volga-Dnepr An 124 parked at the west end of Apron 9 at around 2pm. It had a logo on it which said 25th something or other, couldn't make it out what was actually written. My old workmates told me it had arrived a short while earlier in the morning but then they told me it was a second one that had come to YYC. The first one had arrived Wednesday morning and left an hour or so before this second one arrived.  They couldn't tell me what the load was that required two of them.

Volga-Dnepr Airlines were formed in 1990 and they put the 25 Years logo on the fleet in 2015.
https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com/Airlines-Europe-1/Airlines-Russia/Volga-Dnepr-Airlines/i-F9jzVZh/A
https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/1053264/ra-82042-volga-dnepr-airlines-antonov-an-124/

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #5307 on: February 01, 2019, 01:04:08 pm »

Volga-Dnepr Airlines were formed in 1990 and they put the 25 Years logo on the fleet in 2015.
https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com/Airlines-Europe-1/Airlines-Russia/Volga-Dnepr-Airlines/i-F9jzVZh/A
https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/1053264/ra-82042-volga-dnepr-airlines-antonov-an-124/

I figured it was for some anniversary, just could read for which one.  I've found photos of some of the aircraft with 20th on too, so next year I suppose we will see 30th
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline Nils

• Belgium's "Iceman"
  • Execute in scale 144!
« Reply #5308 on: February 03, 2019, 02:39:32 am »
best way to start off your sunday morning, i just had a flyby of 2 CH-47F Chinooks and 1 UH-60L Blackhawk belonging to the US Army 1st CAV. propably on a ferry flight from Zeebrugges port to Chievres AFB. so there are many more to follow  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Zac Attack is Back!
  • aka K5054NZ, proud Whiffer since 2005
    • Zac on Facebook
« Reply #5309 on: February 04, 2019, 07:31:22 pm »
Resident DH Venom was out and about yesterday afternoon. I think he was practicing for the Wings Over Wairarapa airshow which is in three weeks' time, two-and-a-half hours from here. No pics of the Venom inflight as he was too high and my iPhone is terrible for ground-to-air, but an hour earlier I visited the airport and saw owner John Luff preflighting:
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Here's an informative article about the man and his machine.
With warm regards from Whanganui, New Zealand