Academy

Started by Radish, July 26, 2006, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

A new Iron Maiden CD cover has a T-72 crewed by Eddie and Zombies.
I've 1/48th Zombies already, and can make an Eddie. But what's the academy T-72 in 1/48th like?
Anyone built static Academy 1/48th tanks?
:party:  :tank:  :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Jeffry Fontaine

Terry, never had the opportunity to peek inside the box to actually know what it looks like but from the images on the box it appears that some accuracy has been sacrificed for the sake of motorization.  I beleive there are some after-market resin upgrades available for a number of those 1/48th scale kits from Blast Models in France.   
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Radish

To be honest, accuracy isn't a problem.
Thanks.
I think I'll "test the water" with the T-72.
Most of my armour is 1/35th but my Zombies are 1/48th and so need the "new" scale.
Who knows, if it turns out OK, might get some more :lol:  

Damian2

I've been wondering the same thing...

Got some diorama ideas for 1/48 Armour. Maybe I'll pick up a pair of M1A1's tomorrw for the feck of it.

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Damian2

I picked up a Kitech (read Academy knock off) Challenger Mk.1 for R60 today so I can't go wrong. Not too bad looking and can't wait to get stuck into my first armour job!

Jeff I'm with you on the decent 1/48 modern vehicles! A HUMVEE would be the dog's bollocks!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

matrixone

Academy will soon release a new 1/72 scale Me 262 kit, what makes this one good for doing a what-if is this kit comes with a seperate tail for doing the V 167 (the one that had the Me 163 rocket engine in the tail) prototype.
I am not sure when this kit will be available but should be sometime this year.

Matrixone

matrixone

I have seen pics of the sprues and of the seperate tail with the rocket motor.
Its nice when kits come with extra parts to make it easy to turn them into whiffs. :D

Matrixone

Maverick

Saw this and was surprised to learn that it includes parts for the -262C Heimatschutzer as well!!

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca...aca_12410.shtml

Allan

what's that, mate?
Allan in Canberra

Maverick

Hi Allan,

The Heimatschutzer series were "point-defence" interceptors with Walther bi-fuel rocket motors added to increase initial rate of climb, etc.  The -262C-1 had a single motor in the rear fuselage exhausting under a modified rudder.

Regards,

Mav

Allan

Mav
Ah all is clear now..I remember reading in one of my books that Heinz Bar had this fitted to his 262
Thanks
Allan in Canberra

frank2056

It looks nice. I wonder how it compares to the Revell Germany Me-262 kits. They're probably the best representations of the Me-262 in 1/72.

frank2056

QuoteBy the looks of the sprues, much better.  The Revell kit, whilst it's better detailed than the Hasegawa kit does have a number of flaws:

Now I can't wait for the Academy kit! The Revell engines look OK to me. One great use of the Revell kits is to swap them in for the old Heller/Aurora Me-262 that was the base kit in the old MPM Me-262 series of kits. It'll involve major surgery to get all the parts to fit where they're supposed to... but not much more than that required on the original kit parts.  

frank2056

QuoteI'm pretty sure that MPM copied the Hasegawa Me 262 as the basis for the Me 262 fuselages.  Would that they had for the wings too.
I'm pretty certain that the wings (if not the fuselage) are from the old Heller/Aurora Me-262 kit. It had a distinctive error in panel line and access door placement that is different from the Hasegawa kit.

The finish on the Revel kits is nicer, too.

Radish

£10.99?
It can be bought for less than that at shows....the most frequently spotted price is at least a quid cheaper, and there's some online deals too.
Thanks for the review, Lee, it's convinced me to buy at least a couple.