Author Topic: Seen Over Your House Today  (Read 804104 times)

Online NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Seen Over Your House Today
« Reply #5985 on: July 24, 2021, 07:46:21 am »

Driving past Pocklington driving club. Only there because of a detour due to a WWII bomb being found near a major road.

Heard about that on the radio Mossie. They've not said if it's one of ours or one of theirs though  :angel: Controlled explosion later today, 500lb should make a big bang  ;)
Decals my @r$e!

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #5986 on: July 24, 2021, 09:36:29 am »
We just had a Boeing Stearman fly directly over the house and quite low, yellow wings, blue fuselage with US Army on the wing underside.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5987 on: July 24, 2021, 10:43:41 am »

Driving past Pocklington driving club. Only there because of a detour due to a WWII bomb being found near a major road.

Heard about that on the radio Mossie. They've not said if it's one of ours or one of theirs though  :angel: Controlled explosion later today, 500lb should make a big bang  ;)

They now think it was one of ours, let loose by a Lancaster on a crash landing. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-57953506

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2021-07-24/second-world-war-bomb-on-goole-housing-development-detonated

Online NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5988 on: July 25, 2021, 06:20:56 am »
Cheers Nick

We just had a Boeing Stearman fly directly over the house and quite low, yellow wings, blue fuselage with US Army on the wing underside.

The USAF is obviously taking the latest cost cutting exercise seriously then  ;)
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #5989 on: July 26, 2021, 01:32:39 pm »
My mum reports that she has had either the local air ambulance or the coastguard helicopter over her house on the way into the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle,  EVERY day since the first of June........and twice today!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline kerick

« Reply #5990 on: July 26, 2021, 09:32:32 pm »
Saw an ultralight headed north, a chopper going south and a crop duster going every which way all at the same time!
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5991 on: July 27, 2021, 07:07:48 am »
My mum reports that she has had either the local air ambulance or the coastguard helicopter over her house on the way into the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle,  EVERY day since the first of June........and twice today!

I follow the Mountain Rescue teams on Facebook and those choppers do get well used. So many people collapsing in remote areas that it's easier to fly them out.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5992 on: July 27, 2021, 09:52:44 am »
 A CHIPMUNK trundling up the Severn today, and it looked as if it was in the RAF red/white scheme, but the only two they have are the ones in the BoB Flight and they're black.

Very odd.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • bashes kits
« Reply #5993 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:56 am »
There’s at least a couple of G-registered Chippies flying in that scheme, Kit.

Meanwhile further south, MV-22 seen yesterday low flying over the sea about half a mile off the Shanklin IOW coast.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Arrow/Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco GA.1/Barracuda/Corsair GR1/EE P12/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR.11/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/Lightning PR8/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/RF-47N/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Twin Otter/Val/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5994 on: July 27, 2021, 11:25:56 am »
Nice to know that Dave, thanks.  :thumbsup:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline AeroplaneDriver

• Not licensed to do this sort of thing
  • What-IF SIG
  • Busy repainting the Jetstream in Red Arrows colors
« Reply #5995 on: July 28, 2021, 10:46:31 am »
Not over my house because I am on holiday, but while resting with a tasty adult beverage and enjoying the gorgeous weather in Reykjavik a yellow T-6 and an Icelandic Coast Guard Super Puma flew over departing the downtown airport.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Online scooter

« Reply #5996 on: July 28, 2021, 11:44:48 am »
Not over my house because I am on holiday, but while resting with a tasty adult beverage and enjoying the gorgeous weather in Reykjavik a yellow T-6 and an Icelandic Coast Guard Super Puma flew over departing the downtown airport.

And 30 years ago, you would have had the opportunity to see the odd F-15, Italian Tornado, Luftwaffe RF-4Fs and Tu-154Ms, etc. flying out of Keflavik.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #5997 on: July 28, 2021, 11:55:30 am »
A CHIPMUNK trundling up the Severn today, and it looked as if it was in the RAF red/white scheme, but the only two they have are the ones in the BoB Flight and they're black.

Very odd.

Interestingly, there's an article in the Summer 2021 issue of Air-Britain's Aviation World about the Chipmunk, it's celebrating it's 75th anniversary. It says that there is only three 'Canadian-Built' Chipmunks flying in the UK, a very early version, a very late version and a highly modified version. It doesn't say very much about the UK-Built Chipmunks though so can't help with identifying the one you saw Kit.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline AeroplaneDriver

• Not licensed to do this sort of thing
  • What-IF SIG
  • Busy repainting the Jetstream in Red Arrows colors
« Reply #5998 on: July 29, 2021, 07:30:13 am »

And 30 years ago, you would have had the opportunity to see the odd F-15, Italian Tornado, Luftwaffe RF-4Fs and Tu-154Ms, etc. flying out of Keflavik.

Apprently there are 4 F-15s and a P-8 deployed here currently. No sign of them though.  I read that they are refurbishing a hangar for a pretty permanent basing of a USN P-8. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Offline Pellson

• Full scale Arrow in basement
« Reply #5999 on: July 29, 2021, 07:46:48 am »

Very odd.

Interestingly, there's an article in the Summer 2021 issue of Air-Britain's Aviation World about the Chipmunk, it's celebrating it's 75th anniversary. It says that there is only three 'Canadian-Built' Chipmunks flying in the UK, a very early version, a very late version and a highly modified version. It doesn't say very much about the UK-Built Chipmunks though so can't help with identifying the one you saw Kit.

A local chap had one some twenty years ago, and if you happened to pop by at the right time, you easily could sneak yourself a trip. Hence, I have a few hours flying it, actually.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!