GROUP BUILDS > The Prototypes G.B.

DONE @p.2 +++ "Object 511", a potential ZSU-23-4 successor, early 80ies

(1/8) > >>

Dizzyfugu:
Next project on the bench, and after the (for me) huge A-14 project I start something tracked and much smaller: an 1:72 tank model, a Soviet prototype from the early Eighties: "Object 511".
Topic: an SPAAG, a successor to the highly effective ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" and effectively an alternative concept to what eventually became the 2K22 "Tunguska" gun/missile complex in real life.

Dizzyfugu:
Nothing new here, project delayed due to logistics problems. A resin conversion set I ordered for this one turned out to lack an essential piece, which has to be procured from elsewhere in the meantime. So I started another, non-GB project to fill the gap.

buzzbomb:
Go you good thing !

Was fondling a pre-loved Shilka with various broken bits yesterday, so very interested to see what you plan

Dizzyfugu:
Well, it's basically a similar chassis and hull (from a Trumpeter SA-6 launch unit), combined with a new turret. The latter is the problem, still waiting for the donor kit to arrive, and even then it is not certain if I can directly use it. I suppose that some major mods will be necessary, though (including a new turret ring for the SA-6 base, and it might OOB be a tad too wide), but what are knives, saw and putty good for?  ;)

Work on the hull has already started, but these are minor mods, and the running gear (wheels and tracks are a single IP piece, but nicely detailed) has already been painted:

1:72 “Object 511” a.k.a. “ZSU-37-6 / Лена” prototype, USSR Army, during state acceptance trials; Donguzskiy weapon test range, Orenburg Oblast, summer 1979 (What if/kit-bashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 “Object 511” a.k.a. “ZSU-37-6 / Лена” prototype, USSR Army, during state acceptance trials; Donguzskiy weapon test range, Orenburg Oblast, summer 1979 (What if/kit-bashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

In the meantime, the interim build comes closer to the finish line. Final weathering and varnish approaching.

Dizzyfugu:
Ah, finally, the donor kit for the turret arrived. But to my disappointment the cannon is OOB fixed - not that suitable for an SPAAG that I plan to depict "in action". So, beyond adapting the turret to the hull, I will also invest some thoughts into a mechanism, so that the (new) weapon can be moved vertically. At least, that's the ambition.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version