GROUP BUILDS > The Prototypes G.B.

Prototype B-58 Hustler with "Siamese" engines *done*

(1/10) > >>

sandiego89:
B-58 Hustler, with twin podded "Siamese" engines. 

The Huster design phase saw a variety of configurations for engine placement, number and type.  By late 1953 and into early 1954 pressure was mounting to freeze the design to meet an aggressive in-service date for the MACH II bomber.  Periodically the Air Force and CONVAIR advocated either split or Siamese engine nacelles.  The Siamese engines were thought to ease maintenance and saved about 1,000 pounds to the design, and only showed a negligible increase in drag (and no difference without the pod).  The design was frozen in January 1954 with the Siamese engines, and the prototype rolled out of the Ft Worth factory in 1956. 

by Sandiego89

Lindberg 1:64 scale.  Scalemates indicates this is the 2006 reboxing of the 1959 kit- wish me luck!

photo credit: B-58 Huster Units, Peter Davies, Osprey Publishing, pages 16, 18

ericr:
 :o :thumbsup:

sandiego89:
The box shot.  Definitely not the best B-58 model but could not pass up this kit for $9.99 at Ollies, a discount/closeout store where you never know what they will have. I have a Monogram Hustler, but didnt have the heart to hack it up. 

A big model. 1/72 F-104 for scale. 

PR19_Kit:
Is that the kit with the retracting undercarriage? WILDLY complicated as the main bogies turn completely upside down!

sandiego89:

--- Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2020, 01:10:05 pm ---Is that the kit with the retracting undercarriage? WILDLY complicated as the main bogies turn completely upside down!

--- End quote ---

Wwwhhhhhaaaaatttttt?!?  I had no idea. The box or the instruction give no clue of retracting gear, but I had to take a closer look after you brought that up.  I had not even really looked at the landing gear yet.  Upon examination, the gear contains numerous pivot points/pinions, "no glue" warnings on step 8 and 9 of the instructions, and a strange triangle piece in the middle of the main bogies (bottom of the picture) that indeed looks like it should rotate.  It does look like it should retract!  Something to play with...ahhh conduct research on....!!!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version