Author Topic: a query and a request  (Read 457 times)

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • bashes kits
a query and a request
« on: June 07, 2021, 04:24:47 am »
Not quite sure where best to place this query/request - happy for a Mod to move it to a better location.

Query first.  Does anyone know of any decal sheets containing white outlines of letters, please?  Looking for something that would come out at 24 inches in 1/72.  I thought Almark did one many many years ago for RAF Jaguar and Tornado fin lettering but a delve indicate these were in fact solid white letters over which slightly smaller black letters were placed to create black letters with white outlines.  Have looked on the Hannants and Fantasy Printshop websites and so far can't see anything there.

And the request - does anyone have in their spares box a 'preloved' but unwanted Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hunter canopy that they're willing to give up for beer tokens?  I know it's not by any stretch of the imagination the best 1/72 Hunter but I've Hunter bits and bobs (leftovers from an impending P.1128 Huntsman project) I'd like to make use of rather than chuck them out.

Many thanks in advance.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Arrow F1/Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco GA.1/Barracuda/Corsair GR1/EE P8/EE P12/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR.11/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Twin Otter/Val/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Offline Howard of Effingham

• Tried to ask about GARDENING! and now has to live with the shame.
  • What-IF SIG
  • Does like gardening contrary to popular belief
Re: a query and a request
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 06:22:57 pm »
I'll take a look in my Hunter spares.

I do have an airfix Hunter model but it is not accessible at the mo.

Is a Revell single seater canopy going to be all the wrong shape?

can't really help on the decal question well not decisively.

proud member of the following IPMS [UK] SIG's

South Atlantic, What-If? and USAF

also a very proud member of the Handley Page Association

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 05:57:29 am »
Had a rummage Dave, but no luck I'm afraid. I found a couple of the style of transfers your looking for in the "odds" box, so some kit that passed through my hands has had them, but I can't remember which. I've got an original Airfix Hunter but alas on checking it's got no canopy. I'll carry on looking for it
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Freightdog862

• What-IF SIG
  • Targeted for assassination by JMNs
    • http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 05:59:35 am »
Not quite sure where best to place this query/request - happy for a Mod to move it to a better location.

Query first.  Does anyone know of any decal sheets containing white outlines of letters, please?  Looking for something that would come out at 24 inches in 1/72.  I thought Almark did one many many years ago for RAF Jaguar and Tornado fin lettering but a delve indicate these were in fact solid white letters over which slightly smaller black letters were placed to create black letters with white outlines.  Have looked on the Hannants and Fantasy Printshop websites and so far can't see anything there.

And the request - does anyone have in their spares box a 'preloved' but unwanted Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hunter canopy that they're willing to give up for beer tokens?  I know it's not by any stretch of the imagination the best 1/72 Hunter but I've Hunter bits and bobs (leftovers from an impending P.1128 Huntsman project) I'd like to make use of rather than chuck them out.

Many thanks in advance.

I have the Almark/ED sheet going spare, its yours if you want it. Covers Tornado and Jaguar, roughly 15 & 18 inch high. Let me know I will get it in the post.

Colin 

Offline Martin H

• Im their Leader. Which way did they go?
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 10:05:37 am »
Is this what you are looking for Dave?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • bashes kits
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 12:45:47 pm »
I'll take a look in my Hunter spares.

I do have an Airfix Hunter model but it is not accessible at the mo.

Is a Revell single seater canopy going to be all the wrong shape?

can't really help on the decal question well not decisively.

Hi Trevor,
Alas the Revell item won't fit the Airfix fuselage - just tested Revell and Airfix parts.  Also the Airfix item is more elegant than the FROG and Matchbox Hunter FGA9 canopies but the windscreen in particular is inaccurate in shape.

Had a rummage Dave, but no luck I'm afraid. I found a couple of the style of transfers your looking for in the "odds" box, so some kit that passed through my hands has had them, but I can't remember which. I've got an original Airfix Hunter but alas on checking it's got no canopy. I'll carry on looking for it

Thanks Chris.  I will probably resort to fuselage and vacform canopy hacking!

I have the Almark/ED sheet going spare, its yours if you want it. Covers Tornado and Jaguar, roughly 15 & 18 inch high. Let me know I will get it in the post.

Colin 

Is this what you are looking for Dave?

Martin yes it is and I once had a copy!  I did see it was still available through Hannants.

Colin many thanks, extremely generous but its the outline style of letter I'm after, as per the Airspeed Envoy at http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/cww2/as6/as6-11.jpg.  This has red and blue behind it - as does my 'cunning plan' subject.  If it'd been all over black I'd have taken you up on your kind offer.

I think I may have a way around the problem regarding the lettering, courtesy of MS Word, home made decals, probably some paint mixing (Oxford Blue I have, BEA Red (Xtracolor X552) may be my answer but I think having just looked more closely Humbrol HU020 Crimson could be just what I need) and in time some very careful hairy brush work!  All will be revealed in due course.  Given my build rate I suggest you don't hold your breath!

So thanks all regarding the decal help, I think I may have a work around.  And a trip to LHS tomorrow!
On the go: Arrow F1/Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco GA.1/Barracuda/Corsair GR1/EE P8/EE P12/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR.11/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Twin Otter/Val/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 01:39:46 pm »
Bit leftfield but have a look for some Luftwaffe decal sheets.  Fantasy Printshop did some and they may have had white outline.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • bashes kits
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 01:50:48 pm »
Bit leftfield but have a look for some Luftwaffe decal sheets.  Fantasy Printshop did some and they may have had white outline.

Hi Lee,
No not left field at all.  All I could see on the Fantasy Printshop site were some Luftwaffe white numeral outlines.
I think I have a solution - print my own.  Paint some white paper in the necessary colours, scan and paste into a Word document.  Then float some white outline lettering over the top and print on to white decal paper.  Trim closely to lettering, apply to model and carefully touch up the paint once the decals are thoroughly dry.