General Modelling Forum > Model Kit News

Kotare Models (New Zealand)

(1/3) > >>

joncarrfarrelly:
The company that grew out of the ashes of Wingnut Wings.
https://www.kotare-models.com/about

First release:
https://www.kotare-models.com/products/k32001-132-spitfire-mkia-late/

zenrat:
Does the world need another 1/32 Spitfire?

joncarrfarrelly:
The only actual Mk.I in 1/32nd is the ancient Revell kit, originally released in 1967.
The later "Revell" Mk.I/II is a reboxed Hasegawa Mk.V with conversion parts to
backdate the kit to the earlier marks.

This kit is going to sell which equals income, especially as it's the common BoB type,
which means other projects going forward.

NARSES2:

--- Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 17, 2021, 04:02:19 pm ---
This kit is going to sell which equals income, especially as it's the common BoB type,
which means other projects going forward.

--- End quote ---

Agreed Jon. It's the sale of these staples that allow the "oddities" to be produced, especially when a companies starting up.

KiwiZac:
This is exciting for me because Alan Deere lived in my hometown for much of his childhood, went to my high school, and I know his nephew. This is a must-buy for me.

I listened to the latest episode of the Australian podcast On The Bench (link - do yourself a favour* and skip to 30min from the end) and they have an interview with Richard Alexander. Some bullet points regarding the Spitfire:

- not at test shots stage yet otherwise would be more concrete with release schedule
- when asked about oilcanning etc Richard said surface detail "makes" the real aeroplane
- no indication of PE as the kit should be able to be built OOB, maybe some ancillary accessories later but too early to tell
- an engine adds a huge amount of complexity, there is a market for that but it cuts out people who want to just do one they saw
- number of decal options has been decided on but not ready to say, except Kiwi as on box art
- multiple boxings? "Want to milk it for all it's worth"!
- at the moment no wheels-up option but as part of the design process modelled compressed and uncompressed oleos and retraction to see how it fits

*I'm not a regular listener, this is the second one I've downloaded - the first was also for a Richard Alexander interview. Interesting how the hosts have a light-hearted whinge, and are always surprised, about Richard not telling them about what's next....almost as though they were unware of Wingnut Wings (and now Kotare) policy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version