General Modelling Forum > Model Kit News

Gannet Scale Models

<< < (19/27) > >>

The Wooksta!:
I don't recommend dropping scalpel into a thigh. Did that thirty years back and had t been an inch another way, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Lost Cosmonauts:

--- Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 14, 2022, 07:32:17 am ---I don't recommend dropping scalpel into a thigh. Did that thirty years back and had t been an inch another way, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

--- End quote ---

I got a good safety demo when I was young as I watched my Dad (a trained carpenter) in the loft hobby area not bother with a workbench to save a moment and balance a bit of wood on his thigh to saw. The result was as messy as you’d expect and getting down the ladder while bleeding was “interesting”

Gondor:
I did the scalpel trick myself some forty years ago despite the Humbrol modelling knife have a knobbly end to stop it rolling  :banghead:

Gondor

Green Dragon:
Lost my scalpel once, found it sticking vertically out of my foot. Didn't feel a thing. Until I pulled it out!  :banghead:

Paul Harrison

Scotaidh:
The last time I used a scalpel was in college.  I broke the stupidly thin blade when I applied too much sideways force and the blade shattered like a New Years' resolution ... 

After that demonstration of weakness, I've never used one again.  For modeling I use X-acto knives, and I use one with a very dull blade.  I have new blades, and blade holders with new blades in them - I keep them in a small drawer for that one time in a thousand that I need a sharp blade. 

I find the dull blade much more useful for scraping duties, which is 90%+ of the uses I have that knife.  The broken-off tip is great for scribing lines in plastic and clearing dried paint from the lids of my Humbrol paint tins; the back of the blade is great for scraping down joint lines and the built-up paint on my stir-sticks ...

The only time I actually use X-actos for cutting is to cut the shrink-wrap on a new model box or to trim masking tape or separate decals so I can soak them individually instead of the whole sheet at once.  :)

The scalpel? I used it once after breaking the "lab" blade ... I used a hook-shaped blade to remove a small piece of glass from the sole of my foot.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version