Revell (Revell of Germany and Monogram)

Started by jcf, June 23, 2006, 09:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Hobbes

Nils

at €10,99 it seems a bit steep, thats little more then double the price of the first release or any other 1/144 (re)release!  :angry:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

The Wooksta!

144th in many cases seems to be as pricey if not more so than 72nd.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 26, 2022, 07:09:46 AM
144th in many cases seems to be as pricey if not more so than 72nd.

When you consider that a modern jet is nearly twice the size of a WW2 fighter then it makes sense that the costs are the same. It's the same workload for the mould designers and instruction writers, the box printers and the plastic manufacturers. The amount of plastic will vary but not by a huge amount.

At the end is the question of how much can they sell the kit for, not what it should be priced at based on the scale.

The Wooksta!

I was talking more 144th WW2 stuff, rather than airliners. The resin 144th BAC Lightnings are around the same price as a 72nd Airfix one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on May 27, 2022, 02:56:50 AM

When you consider that a modern jet is nearly twice the size of a WW2 fighter then it makes sense that the costs are the same. It's the same workload for the mould designers and instruction writers, the box printers and the plastic manufacturers. The amount of plastic will vary but not by a huge amount.

At the end is the question of how much can they sell the kit for, not what it should be priced at based on the scale.

Development and production costs are a greater percentage of total costs than they are for 1/72 and larger kits so the differential isn't as great as you might expect. Plus 1/144 along with 1/32 seems to be quite fashionable at the moment.
Decals my @r$e!

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 29, 2022, 02:16:41 AM

<snip>

Development and production costs are a greater percentage of total costs than they are for 1/72 and larger kits so the differential isn't as great as you might expect. Plus 1/144 along with 1/32 seems to be quite fashionable at the moment.

I don't build 1/144 for a couple of reasons - I think it's too small a scale to accurately have and/or see the interesting details of the aircraft; also, I'm quite near-sighted, so for me the first reason is self-fulfilling.  But I also have fairly thick fingers, and handling those tiny parts that I can barely see is a real challenge - one I don't have to accept.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

I built a couple of Eduard 1/144 Spitfires some time ago (i.e.: about 5 years) & they were exquisitely detailed. Mine even looked good, until the board they were on got knocked off the dining table (my workspace at the time) & the tile monster consumed the prop from one, both right landing gears & the canopy from the other. I tossed them after that.

Coincidentally, I found the decals last night while looking for missing bits from a partially completed build, which I still haven't found & which will probably lead to a change in the concept of the build.

My main point being; most of the cost of a model is in the design of the kit & the tooling, the cost of the plastic makes up very little of the production cost, even with the big kits, but does generate some variation in the expense of making the kit. The cost of the research can vary but is generally fairly similar across the board, as is design (especially with CAD/CAM programs & their offspring). The cost of the tooling can vary quite a bit, however, due to the size of the steel blocks used & the amount of material that needs to be cut away depending on the size of the kit & the detail required.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 29, 2022, 04:34:42 AM

My main point being; most of the cost of a model is in the design of the kit & the tooling, the cost of the plastic makes up very little of the production cost, even with the big kits, but does generate some variation in the expense of making the kit.

Yup, very much so
Decals my @r$e!