Picture Post > Plane Spotting

Seen at the airshow today

<< < (55/55)

Nick:

--- Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 04, 2022, 10:51:10 pm ---Great shots, everyone.

WRT the Paras, are those the standard chutes, or do they use 'period' style (round) ones as part of the tribute display?

--- End quote ---

The plain green ones in pic 1 might be the older T-10 system used by the US Army. The white lined ones in pic 3 look like the current US Army T-11 parachutes as seen on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j2jzTlBDl4

The 2nd picture is a RNAF C-130 so they must be Royal Netherlands Army Paras using MC1 parachutes.

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: Caveman on October 04, 2021, 11:18:57 pm ---
--- Quote from: kitbasher on October 04, 2021, 03:16:42 pm ---The Napier Railton still holds the track speed record for Brooklands and was used for early jet fighter brake ‘chute trials.

Given how fast it can go I always feel the rear view mirror is somewhat redundant!  But it’s necessary to facilitate road worthiness.

--- End quote ---

I am always astounded that most of these vehicles arrive under their own steam.

--- End quote ---

When I returned to the UK in 2002, I went to the Great Steam Fair in Dorset. Getting there was through small country roads and extremely slow going, as most of the steam engines (plus their trailers/caravans) got there under their own steam (pun intended)

Rick Lowe:

--- Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2022, 05:27:26 am ---
--- Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 04, 2022, 10:51:10 pm ---Great shots, everyone.

WRT the Paras, are those the standard chutes, or do they use 'period' style (round) ones as part of the tribute display?

--- End quote ---

The plain green ones in pic 1 might be the older T-10 system used by the US Army. The white lined ones in pic 3 look like the current US Army T-11 parachutes as seen on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j2jzTlBDl4

The 2nd picture is a RNAF C-130 so they must be Royal Netherlands Army Paras using MC1 parachutes.

--- End quote ---

Ah, ok - thanks.
I thought modern Paras had gone away from the round chutes, for control reasons. Happy to be re-educated.  :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version