Hot Research Topics > Camouflage, Colors, and Markings

USS United States carrier in US flag dazzle camouflage.

(1/6) > >>

seadude:
Boy, have I come up with a wacky camouflage scheme! And for a carrier no less!  ;D
I had the crazy idea for a future model project to take my TAMIYA 1/350 scale USS Enterprise aircraft carrier, heavily modify it to a 21st century future carrier, but name it the USS United States after the failed CVA-58 carrier of the same name. Then paint it in a red, white, and blue US flag dazzle camouflage scheme similar to what's shown in either of the pics below.
But........I'm not familiar with dazzle camouflage schemes. Never attempted painting them before.
Do I paint the white stripes first, then the red and blue? And I don't have an airbrush either and can't use one for various reasons which would take too long to explain.
Which do you think would be easier to do or look nicer: Straight red and white stripes, or curvy red and white stripes?
The stars on the blue field would most likely be decals if I can find some. But then, once I apply them, I'd have to make sure they are all evenly spaced apart just like on a real American flag. How would I go about doing that?

scooter:

--- Quote from: seadude on June 20, 2022, 07:01:55 pm ---Do I paint the white stripes first, then the red and blue? And I don't have an airbrush either and can't use one for various reasons which would take too long to explain.

--- End quote ---

Gotta love the wacky schemes in WoWS.

My suggestion - start with a nice, neutral primer, then white, then red and blue. 

kerick:
First, I think this idea is awesome!
Second, I would paint the white first over the entire model then paint the red and blue. Primary colors paint on and look so much better over white.
Third, the stars size wouldnít matter very much because you are not showing the entire blue field and fifty stars. Spacing can be done with a compass.
Personally, I would go with straight stripes as Iíve seen many pictures of dazzle camo using the straight line pattern like your first pic. Donít forget the fake bow wake!

Old Wombat:
Considering I'm playing WoWS at the moment, due to a temporary case of "Builder's Block", I would suggest going with the WoWS scheme.

If you can, spray the whole ship with a good white primer (Tamiya is good but there are other, generic/non-modelling, brands that are at least as good), then do the red stripes, followed by the blue.

For the stars, if you can get the stickers that they used to use in schools when (if) you did good, they should do the trick as masks (just paint over, then remove them). If they're a little too large, then it's easy enough to trim them to size before you stick them on, as they're already the correct proportions.

NARSES2:
Got to agree with the rest of the lads : white primer from a spray can, then red, then blue with straight demarcations  :thumbsup: You could always use red and blue automotive spray paints ? Given the size of the Enterprise that's probably what I'd do as I don't use an airbrush either.

As for the white stars ? As they are on the blue background how about getting some WWII period USN/USAAF/USMC national markings which were simply the white star in a blue circle ? Save a lot of masking hassle ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version