Author Topic: RF-5E TigerEye of the Royal Moroccan Air Force  (Read 1079 times)

Offline DogfighterZen

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Bmx, music and whif junkie
Re: RF-5E TigerEye of the Royal Moroccan Air Force
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 06:24:39 pm »
And so, after a good weekend of rest and modelling, this is where the TigerEye stands...

Painted the afterburner section with some Tamiya Nato black and Buff, drybrushed them with some XF-66 and the interior of the nozzles was painted with dark sea gray.
Then i smudged everything with some AK burnt jet engine and Humbrol dark earth pigments to get the look i saw in pics on google. May not be perfect but it's close enough for me.

Also painted the LG bays and the NMF area and nozzles...

Next is clear parts masking and attachment and it should be ready for the camo scheme soon.

I have to say that i'm really enjoying this kit and that although the molds show a bit of wear, most of the detail is gorgeous and the only real thing that i think is missing in this kit are the air intake ducts, and the full depth engine afterburner section.
Both of these details wouldn't really be very visible anyway so, this doesn't really bother me but i am considering buying some aftermarket goodies for at least one of the other 3 AFV Club F-5s i have in the stash.
These things and the cockpit are, IMHO, the weakest areas of this kit, the rest is very good in my book. :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline DogfighterZen

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 04:41:19 pm »
So, life's been busy but i finally got this painted... :mellow:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 06:48:26 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 12:17:10 am »
Pretty, classsic scheme. Subtle.  :lol:

Offline DogfighterZen

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 10:49:34 am »
Pretty, classsic scheme. Subtle.  :lol:

Indeed it is, Thomas.  :thumbsup:
I don't have many recce birds in my stash and i wasn't planning on building this kit at this stage but, when i looked at my options for the GB, the fact that i have the decals for the Moroccan F-5E in another kit made me take a closer look and the scheme was the thing that made me choose this as my build.
It was my best option although i knew it would be hard for me to finish it before the Gb's deadline (which proved to be true :banghead: ), but i certainly wouldn't have time for a conversion of another kit into a recce bird. :rolleyes:

Well, bench time tonight will be dedicated to painting small details and, if i have the time, give it a good gloss coat to protect the paint job.