GROUP BUILDS > The Soviet Group Build

Soviet GB NATO reporting names directory

(1/10) > >>

Weaver:
At the request of several members (well one, but I agreed with him and I'M A MOD SO THERE), and by the power invested in me by the Whiff Standards Coordinating Committee or WSCC (which I just totally made up) I hereby inaugurate the directory thread for fictional NATO ASCC reporting names for use in the upcoming Soviet GB.

No idea what an ASCC reporting name is or how to choose one? Then knock yourself out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name You didn't really think the Russians called their stuff things like 'Fishbed' and 'Aphid' did you? :rolleyes:

If you want to reserve a fictional reporting name for your project then register it here to avoid one of those nasty handbag fights with someone who came to the party wearing the same frock. First come, first served. If you want advice on how the system works, or on names for obscure things not on that wiki link, just ask. You may even get an answer. Sometimes, it might even be right....

zenrat:
Thank you Mr Mod sir.

I would like to reserve Migraine (MiG 37U) and Brawler (Myasishchev M-7).

JayBee:
OK I would like to reserve.......... FIREDRAKE.

Jim

tigercat:
Frostbite and Blight

Please

Mossie:

--- Quote from: Weaver on January 10, 2017, 07:54:10 pm ---No idea what an ASCC reporting name is or how to choose one? Then knock yourself out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name You didn't really think the Russians called their stuff things like 'Fishbed' and 'Aphid' did you? :rolleyes:

--- End quote ---

The only rules I know about are that prop aeroplanes have single syllable names (Bear, Fang) and jet aircraft have two syllables (Badger, Fulcrum).  This only applies to aeroplanes (i.e. it doesn't apply to piston versus turbine helicopters), anything else can be one or two syllables.  I think that names are never more than two syllables to keep them short for reporting purposes.  I also believe they are selected from names that are unlikely to crop up in tactical situations.

Although for whiffing purposes I guess you can stick to the rules or stretch them to suit any nefarious backstory...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version